Help? Kitty has smelly rotting sour smell in his saliva. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Help? Kitty has smelly rotting sour smell in his saliva.

Dear forumers,

Recently I found out that my kitty Zam, is eating less than before. I was worried that he's sick but he's still hyperactive and happy, so I have no idea what's wrong with him.

Then yesterday when he licked me, I found that his saliva smells gross. It smells... err sour(?), but I don't know if that's a problem or it has been like that since the very start.

I don't know if I should bring him to the vet, there are little vets in Singapore (I think so, because I've never seen one), and vet-visits are generally expensive. My mom reckons that even if he's sick he'll probably recover as time passes.

Should I be worried about this issue?

Update: He has been eating more now, but his saliva is still horrendous. Shuns me away when he licks me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Help? Cat not eating as much, is he ill?

If he's not eating as much and he has bad breath, it could be a dental problem. Maybe it's hurting his mouth to eat.

Will Zam let you look in his mouth? He could be teething, kittens lose their teeth like little kids do.

Hopefully others will chime in on this...

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Marie, you cat could be eating less because his mouth hurts. Check his teeth and gums, if Zam will let you. Gums should be a nice healthy pink.

I don't remember what age kittens lose their baby teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

I opened his mouth and I don't see any abnormalities... and I suffered a few claws...

But my brother told me that Zam was biting the cabinet and a tooth fell off. Could that be why?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

It sure could. Was it a whole tooth or was it broken off? How old is he?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
It sure could. Was it a whole tooth or was it broken off? How old is he?
He's 5-6 months old by now, was 4 months when I adopted him.

I didn't see the teeth falling off and all, so I don't know the details. It was a few days ago when my brother told me that Zam was playing in his room and bit something, and then his tooth fell off.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

I think he's around the age kittens lose their teeth anyway. Hopefully someone who knows more about this will reply.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Cool Cat

I'm sorry to hear about Zam's possible tooth problem.
But I am so glad to hear that he's not so nervous any more. I remember a few weeks ago that you were worried that he seemed wary of you. If he's licking you and biting cabinets it sounds as if his shyness has disapeared

Sorry I can't help with the appetite/tooth problem but I've never had to look after a young kitten before. I'm sure you'll get some more advice from others soon.

seashell
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell
I'm sorry to hear about Zam's possible tooth problem.
But I am so glad to hear that he's not so nervous any more. I remember a few weeks ago that you were worried that he seemed wary of you. If he's licking you and biting cabinets it sounds as if his shyness has disapeared

Sorry I can't help with the appetite/tooth problem but I've never had to look after a young kitten before. I'm sure you'll get some more advice from others soon.

seashell
Haha, you've got great memory.

Zam loves me now, he always want to get near me and rubs against my legs for attention. But sometimes he still bites, but they don't cut. And once he hugged my wrist like a bolster while sleeping. So sweet. =)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Premier Cat

I think Zam is at the right age for losing teeth, and they do get bad breath during this time. You can wet a washcloth and then put it in your freezer to make a chew toy for him. After it is frozen let him play with it and the cold will help ease any gum pain.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page