I NEED HELP!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I NEED HELP!!

Hi, I have 2 cats one is just under a year old and the other is almost 15yrs old. About a month ago we had our kitten declawed, yes most dont like this but we adopted the older cat declawed and the kitten was hurting her, anyways, during the post op time we had to switch litters temporarily and the older cat did not like this. She began pooping in the floor. We finally switched back to the other litter and she has only done it 1 or 2 times since, but we cannot get the smell out of our house. We have even gone as far as shampooing the carpets and it still smells like a litter box in our entire house. The only room that doesnt smell like that is the actual room with the litter box!!! Does anyone know how we can solve this problem. We have tried and tried to find the exact location of the smell but we just know the general area, sprays, shampoos and powders have all failed to rid the smell!! Please someone help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I NEED HELP!!

Use a blacklight to precisely locate the 'soiled' areas. Then use an enzymatic cleaner to clean those areas. You have to really soak the area with the enzymatic cleaner and let it air dry, this allows the enzymes time to work and break down the odor causing bacteria. Sometimes you have to re-apply the solution. I like to use Nature's Miracle, Odo Ban or Simple Solution.

One trick I read at a site was to use the blacklight and a bag of pennies, placing a penny on every spot the blacklight shows. This is so you know where to clean when you turn the room lights back on.

You said you shampooed the carpets and the house still smells. Were the pooping accidents solid poops that were just picked up off the top of the carpet fibers or were they loose and diarrhea-y, with liquid seeping into the carpet fibers? I am having a difficult time understanding how the house could still smell. I wonder if it isn't just sensitive noses and/or dirty litterboxes. ...and not so much litterboxes that aren't scooped 1-2 times a day, but perhaps a cat who now doesn't like to bury their poops? The only other explanation I can think of would be perhaps you now have a pee-ing problem. A blacklight will identify any/all problem areas.

Good luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

We do have one that doesnt cover her poop. We think its because she doesnt know how to cover. She was a rescue kitten at 3 weeks old and though she is very litter box trained and scratches when she is done she isnt covering the poops. The poops were hard solid formed poops that were just picked up. At first I thought it was just a sensitive nose because I have always been very particular on keeping absolutely no odor, but we have had family come over who have made comments that they too could smell it. At this point I am seriously contemplating toilet training for the cats!! lol!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Premier Cat

Arianwen had the problem of not covering in her litterbox because her mother died when she was very young.
It has taken a few months, and lots of encouragement, but she figured it out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I had another cat that died a year and a half ago, she was my older cats sister, they were both baby strays rescued from the side of the road, not even old enough to feed themselves, Smudge didnt cover her poop either and L.B would go in and cover it up for her, she has also started to do this in the upstairs litter box for Allie. She is def. a momma cat. She acts like she doesnt like Allie, but then cleans her and kisses and snuggles with her when no one is around. I have given up the odor fighting by myself, my sanity thanked me !! I called professionals and they are coming in to deodorize the upstairs loft and office (where the litter box actually is).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Replacing the padding and having the carpet prof cleaned did not at all help!! We have removed the carpet and placed wood floors (not real wood the link board kind, real wood would have cost over $1000) up there Now everything has stopped but it took $500 to fix it, if that doesnt say kitty love dang I dont know what would!! Thanks soo much for the advice!! I used every one of them to try to stop the problem, even having them checked for kidney and bladder infections.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Premier Cat

Glad it worked out. I'm surprised the enzyme cleaner treatment didn't work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i was very surprised it didnt work either. Even after we replaced the carpet we had Kiwi carpet cleaners come out and re-clean and it didnt even work!! But today we took Allie to the dr. due to the fact that she has now started doing it right in front of us this past week. They said she has both a UTI (urinary tract infect) and either the beginning of kidney stones or on the down hill side of passing a stone that has broken up on its way down. I feel soo bad that we didnt catch it earlier. But she has been acting completely like herself not one thing to let us know she was either in pain or didnt feel good. Still running and playing with the dogs and hanging out on the cat tree. They put her on a special diet for the next 10 days and an antibiotic they said she might have to be checked every few months to make sure the kidneys dont do the whole stone thing. Thanks for all the advice and info.!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM

Once a cat starts to poop on the floor, it is really hard to correct his/her terrible mistake. But I advise you find out the reason why he/she does so... as you say, it is the old one who is interesting in "decorating " the house, therefore according to my experience, he or she might have been unable to get very well with the little guy, then driven mentally illed - pooping is his/her way to tell you "I should dominate the territory" or "I do not like the smelly kid!". So maybe you can try to seperate them for days, preparing a seperate litterbox for he/her, and observe how he/she would act. I have no idea of whether it will work, but I am sure that when a cat likes "allocating (thanks for his/her being soooo generous, lol)" his/her faeces, he/she is either warning rivals in love or expressing some kind of dissatisfaction.

As to the oder, have you tried mint products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page