Please help with advise to move - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Please help with advise to move

Hello everyone.. My wife and I just retired last Friday and moving from MA to FL on the 15th. We have two DSH Female's. One 2 and one 16. Both indoor cats. When we go to the vets, the car ride is hellish and the 16 year old foams drewls at the mouth.
My heart goes out to the two of them. I could not do anything to hurt either one. (I had to put one to sleep a couple of years back and it put me in the hospital) My doctor has given me xanax for me to take to try to deal with the stress. We have two options of taking the two girls.
A flight for the 16 year old..it goes from Boston to Atlanta then to Melburne.
I figure that would be 6 hours of torture for her because the Dr said no meds on the plane. Or, they both can go in the car with my wife. She has an suv and she will take two days to get down there. The doctor for that gave us acepromazine .25mg for each to take two hours before we left. He asked that we test it before we go and I have. The older one it did not effect.. the younger one was stoned. Today we took the girls for a small ride around the block with no meds as a test to try to get them use to the car. The screemed for about 2 minutes.. then only once in a while. I could see both of them were breathing very fast. I kept calming them while my wife drove. It was tearing my heart out. I could see the fear.
What I fear the most is that the stress of this move will kill my oldest, or me for that matter. My doctor tried to assure me. but it was a haphazard assurance at best.
Can someone please help me try to do this right. I love my three girls, the third is my wife, but she will do fine... its the little ones I am worried about. Should I fly with one, or go for the two in a car. They will be spending one night in a hotel. My wife will be driveing down with a friend so I will be flying anyways. I feel so bad for them... Please help me... what is best.. is three better meds for them, or a better way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Please help with advise to move

Aww, your poor babies. If you have time enough before you leave I would keep trying small trips in the car and see how they do. It sounds like your last trip wasn't too bad. Maybe give them small amount of chicken as a special treat when they are calm in the car.

They make a Feliway spray which may also help them calm down.

I would think that the airplane ride might be more stressful because there are many different people, and lots of strange sounds. Would the kitty be able to ride in the cabin with you?

It will all work out, and then you can all have a happy retirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM

we almost ran into the same problem 10 years ago when we moved from Ohio to Florida. We decided against medicating the kitties and just let them be. One of my cats (Miss Chloe) foams at the mouth when she is upset. They were cried for a while but eventually calmed down some. It was a 2 day trip for them and on the 2nd day they cried again but calmed down eventually. Some cats just do not like riding in cars. They will be fine, just make sure they have plenty of food and water and a place where they can hide. What part of Florida are you moving to??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Cool Cat

One of the reasons your cats stay so upset, is because they can feel you being upset.

We moved a few years ago from Tennessee to Massachusetts, and it was a 2 day trip. One cat didn't care, the other cat cried for an hour or so, but eventually decided to just hide in the back of her carrier.

Both cats were pretty old when we moved (14 and 15 years), and both had health conditions (heart murmur and thyroid issues). They both made it here fine. (Though they have both since passed on due to their conditions).

We have 2 other cats now, when going to the vet one cries and cries and the other just wants to watch the things go by as we drive.

Being calm yourself will help your cats manage the trip a little better.

Personally, I would think a plane would be much more stressful than the car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your support.
We are moving to the Palm Bay area of Florida.
We are going to do the car route. Today we gave the girls the meds as directed by the doctor and will take them for another small ride this afternoon.
It is very hard for me to keep calm.. Yesterdays ride I got in the back with them and laid down with them to keep petting them and keep them calm. I just see them breathing so fast I know they must be scared. Our trip will take two days. The older one did foam or drewled at the mouth at the end of the ride yesterday. We cannot wait to get to Florida.
The car has a litter box in it, and we were not sure on how to handle food and water as yet. We can take any advise you can give on this... we do not want to starve or dehydrate our girls.. just as we would not want to go threw the same. I am sure all on this board know how much it is to love your little ones. My wife and I have no children. so these are them....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

We would love to s pictures of your kitties! You so obviously love them very much.

I wouldn't ride in the back with them. Just let them be back there by themselves and they will be ok. When you stop for breaks offer some water. In the hotel you can let them out to wander around and offer them food and water then.

Don't be concerned if they don't want a whole lot of water or food. We had some one on here who drove for several days with their cats and the first several days they wouldn't eat at all.

Your move will go well and soon the kitties will be experiencing new things like no snow in the winter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM

A 2 minute car ride isn't much for them to get used to,so yes they will cry. We moved last year. I took the 2 'turds' in my van.They howled for the first 10 minutes or so but then were better. I let them out of the carrier and they settled in for the 14 hour ride. The wife brought Jiggy months later. She never ate or drank the whole trip.They were all fine. I tend to agree with Smirkitty. I think you're projecting your own nervous tension.
They'll be fine. They are resilient little furballs these cats of ours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page