Please Please Please Help Me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Please Please Please Help Me

Hello everyone,

Brand new poster here in need of dire help.

Here is the readers digest version.

I moved in with some friends about a month ago and brought my two cats along with me. One of my cats is 5 and the other is 4. Both very social and out going cats. Now the place that I moved into is a one bedroom apartment with a married couple. They also have a six month old kitten. We are only staying here until the end of this month because the two bedroom wasn't ready.

As soon as I brought my cats into the new place, the older one took to it very quickly. He ran all over the place and even played with the kitten. Now the younger one is the problem...

As soon as I opened the cage he ran under my funton and was under there for six days and didn't come out. I tried everything to get him out of there and it was getting to the point to where I had to put food, water, and the litter box right next to my bed. He was so scard I found out that he was peeing and pooping right under the bed. Now just ahead two weeks and hes still doing the same thing. He REFUSES to come out of the futon.

Finally I had to pull him out and block it off in hopes that he would explore the rest of the apartment. He was under there for over 3 weeks. He started freaking out and hiding behind the couch. Making sure he doesn't follow the same pattern, I quickly pulled him from there and blocked that off. What I come to notice is that he is terrified of the ceiling fan right above my futon. He stares up at it and runs, even when it's not even turned now.

Now jump ahead about 3 weeks...His new hiding place is the bathroom. He his behind the toilet and stays in there all day. I moved the litter box, food, and water in there because he was starting to use the tub as a bathroom.

Now my roommates are starting to get really annoyed with him as well as I am. It is a very small bathroom which his litter box takes up alot of space. I tried kicking him out of there but as soon as my roommates door opens up, he runs into there room and under there bed. He urinates and poops under there.

Now lately he has been keeping everyone up late at night with non stop meowing and scratching at my roommates door. They are really getting fed up with him to the point where they almost want me to get rid of him. He has plenty of food and water, but he just won't quit.

I am open to ANY suggestions!!! Please someone help me! I don't want to loose my baby.

Also I should have noted before that I have moved with him three times already and hes never acted like this.

Thank you for time

-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Please Please Please Help Me

First thing you've got to do is calm down. They pick up on what you are feeling.
Remind your roommates that you will be able to put him in your room at the new place, so this is only temporary. And that you aren't any happier about this right now than they are.
Can you borrow a large dog crate from a friend? One large enough for the litterbox and a bed? You can hang food and water on the wire door, away from the litterbox. Cover the crate with a blanket so he will feel safe. This will keep him out of the way of the roommates and not let him annoy them at night. And it is temporary as he will need more space as he settles in.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Premier Cat

I like the crate idea as a temporary measure to help her feel safe. Also, you might want to get a Feliway diffuser which will help her calm down and begin to feel safe.

Do you know if your room in the new apartment has a ceiling fan? I wonder if covering it with a towel will make it less scary to her.

Poor baby, she's stuck in the flight or fight reaction and she get get out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Premier Cat

I agree, a covered, large crate would give her a "safe spot" where she doesn't have to see the terrible 'ceiling fan monster'.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

I agree with the crate approach. Surely, everyone involved can put up with this for another three weeks before everything blows up. Three weeks is a short time. Certainly in comparison to how long this cat will be with you -- 15 years or more. People can put up with just about anything if: they're sure it's going to end, and, they think it's going to end soon. If three weeks sounds too long now, just wait one more day. At the end of the day tomorrow you decide to wait one more day. Each day you do this and three weeks are up before you know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page