I need help with my kittens!!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I need help with my kittens!!!!!!

I have a seven month old kitten who has lived with me since he was able to leave his mother. Tonight I just brough home a kitten that is about the same age but is very shy. My first kitten keeps jumping on top of the new one and biting his scruff on the back of his neck. The other cat seems to be irratated by this and starts to hiss. Is this normal? Should I be worried or will this just pass? Please anyone with information on the subject let me know. I just don't want the new cat not to come out its shell because my original cat is biting the **** out of it.

Thanks for reading

Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Re: I need help with my kittens!!!!!!

Is your first kitten neutered? If not, get ye to a vet!
This kind of "mock mating" is a dominance behavior. If you want to see less of this, get the kittens neutered.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Just a bit of kitteh psychology/language:

1st kitten, who is very comfortable in his home, sees new kitten and thinks: "Play buddy!" (or mating behavior)
2nd kitten, who is brand new to the home, everything is new/scary, now has this rambunctious kitten leaping on him. I'd hiss, too.

You may want to seperate them, put the new kitten in a room of his own with the necessities (food, water, litterbox and sleeping area) and visit him often to reassure him and get him comfortable enough to play. Eventually, he will show interest in exploring, and you can let him out to explore at will, you sort of following along as reassurance for him. You may also want to put #1 kitten up, for the first few forays the new kitten takes in the home.

Also, check out "new cat introductions" on how to properly introduce two new cats/kittens with as few hiccups as possible.
Best of luck!
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help I will report back in a week or so.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page