Neighborhood Cats Picking on My Kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Neighborhood Cats Picking on My Kitty!

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a situation on my hands and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. I have two kitties, both about 6 months old, a female and a male. The one I'm concerned about is the male, Hobbes. He is mostly an outdoor kitty... he comes inside whenever he wants, but for the most part he likes to hang out in our yard (it's a big one). We live in a safe neighborhood, and our house is tucked back far away from the road. Hobbes has always stayed right near the house, which is great. The problem is this: the neighborhood kitties are terrorizing him!

I got Hobbes when he was about 8 weeks old, and kept him indoors until he was around 3 months old. Then I tried keeping him and Susie (my female kitty) outside over night. I didn't know our neighbor had any cats at the time. Well my husband and I were awoken to the loud YELPING of poor little Hobbes during the night... he was getting picked on by a huge black fluffy cat. He came inside all proofed up and scared (he had even pooped himself), and a tiny spot on his leg was bleeding. We later found that the cat had bitten him there, and it ended up getting really infected and we had a whole ordeal with taking him to the vet and putting him on antibiotics. But anyway. He got healed up and we kept him and Susie inside at nights until they were 4 months old, and then tried again. This time nothing happened, and they were just fine sleeping out on our back porch. The same was true for many nights to come... until about a week ago. Almost every day in the last week, whether during the daytime or at night, I've heard kitties yelping and screaming, and I've run outside, scared away the big black kitty (which I believe is a female but am not positive--she's huge though) or another kitty (I've recently learned that our neighbor has EIGHT cats!) and brought Hobbes inside. He seems fine every time, a little scared but perfectly fine otherwise. Obviously though I don't like my kitty to be getting into fights and getting picked on. He's not very big yet so I worry about him.

At the same time, I don't want to have to keep him indoors at nights because he yowls like a dog, keeping us awake, and I can't scoop kitty litter (not safe if I happen to get pregnant) and my husband had enough of that when they were indoor kitties. So, what am I to do? We won't be living here forever so it's not a permanent problem, but I don't want Hobbes to get hurt again in the meantime. Why are the neighbor's kitties picking on him (especially the big black one)? Before we got Hobbes, we never even saw these cats, so it's not like this was their play yard or anything. Could it be because he isn't fixed yet? He's scheduled to get neutered next month... maybe that will help? Anyone else had experiences like this??

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Re: Neighborhood Cats Picking on My Kitty!

Your poor kitty!I would really consider just keeping him indoors!There are so many BAD things that can happen to a cat outside!and bites and scratches from other animals can be very dangerous!I wish you luck,and I hope you really think about keeping your kitties indoors!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Cat Addict

If he is not fixed yet, I wouldnt be letting him out to mate with a female! We don't want any unwanted kitties out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Cat

I've had nearly the same problem. My two cats are spayed females, just over 2 yrs old. The neighbor's cats come over and fight with mine. I now keep my two in the house at night but it would be cruel to keep mine in all the time. Its always been my big girl Koko (also known as Cujo) who was involved in the fights. Then two weeks ago, my sweet girl Lucy comes in with a cut across her nose and no collar. I later found her collar in a mess of cat hair, some of which at least was NOT Lucy's. There have been no fights that I know of since. So I am hoping Lucy finally got involved and kicked the neighbor cat's butt, territories have been established and their will be no more misunderstandings! But I'm doubtful this peace will last so I too would like to hear any suggestions, besides keeping my cats indoors all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lucille & Koko
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Getting him fixed should help with this problem, but if there are unfixed males around it may not. It's one of the risks you take when you allow your cat to roam free. There's really isn't anything you can do about it other than to decide it's an acceptable risk for your cat or not.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page