Question from a Cat Newbie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Question from a Cat Newbie

Is it cruel to just let cats be indoor cats? My husband and I are new cat lovers and will be getting two baby girls in the near future. I want them to be indoor cats and not go outside at all.

Is this cruel?

I want to do the right thing.

The new babies will get much love and any and all comforts we can provide. But is it cruel? Isn't it in a cat's nature to want to go out and roam? If i stifle this will I be creating some kind of neurosis?

Any answers from you experienced ones will be very much appreciated.

Sheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Question from a Cat Newbie

P.S. We both work all day, that's why I thought it would be nice to get two, so they can have companionship.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

All my girls are indoor kitties and very happy. The key is to have lots of window access so they can see outside. My girls can spend hours just watching. They can lay on most of my window sills and I have lots of cat trees for them.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Premier Cat

Many cats are indoor only. It will definitely ensure that they remain safe from cars, predators, diseases, etc. and if they have each other and you engage in interactive play with them they can be very, very happy.

I do let my kitties out in the back yard with supervision on occasion, but I would not let them roam on their own.

Welcome to the world of being owned by kitties.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

It's not "cruel" to keep them inside, it's mostly a choice of safety for most members. I have a Rottweiller on one side, a German Shepherd on the other, coyotes in the back brush, and I just found out - huge RATS all over!!!

In some countries, it's normal for cats to have free roam of their neighborhood.

It's a personal choice no matter where you live, neither right nor wrong.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Cool Cat

Stimulation is really the key to a healthy, happy indoor kitty. Having a playmate will be good, but the humans need to play with them, too. Get some interactive cat toys (most popular are Da Bird, Cat Charmer, krinkleballs, and jingle balls, all should be available at your local pet shop). We play with ours at least twice a day, 15-30 minutes, depending on how long they keep interest.
Also, as mentioned above, kitty-tv (i.e. cat trees in windows). They'll sleep most of the day while you're at work, but its still nice for them to have access to things to watch.

(edited to remove an extra letter that somehow sneaked in)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Premier Cat

Cats are very intelligent, very adaptable, animals. Just play with them a lot when you are home, and be sure to spoil them rotten, giving them total rule of the house, and they'll be fine.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:51 PM

My kitties are indoor/outdoor, but I don't think it's cruel at all to keep cats strictly indoors so long as they have lots of toys and room to roam around and play! I've never liked the idea of a cat sitting at home all day alone though, so I would definitely recommend getting two of them. I got one of my kittens when he was 8 weeks old, and he was terribly lonely every night when we put him in the kitchen by himself (we tried keeping him in the bedroom with us but he attacked the comforter all night long and tried to get underneath the sheets so that didn't work too well!)... a week later we decided he NEEDED a companion, and of course I wanted another kitten too, so we got another 8 week old kitty. They have been best friends ever since.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Banned

There's no chance that anyone who cares enough to even ASK that question will ever be cruel to their cats. Thus the answer is: of course not.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I agree! My kitties are indoor cats. They have lots of room to chase one another, and they follow the sunbeam around the house! They also love to play chase! I think they enjoy having a play mate.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page