When outdoors comes in the woes of a christmas tree - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

When outdoors comes in the woes of a christmas tree

Four cats in this house have never seen a chirstmas tree before. I put the tree up to see how'd they react before putting any balls or other things on it besides lights and garland. Well the foster trio are having a blast. Reyna is actually being pretty good about it and just likes to lay under it and rub against the bottom branches. But the foster trio, omg. They are constantly trying to climb it, taking the garland in mouth and running, chewing on the light bulbs, the branches. They've knocked it over several times onto themselves and got pinned under it and yet still go after it. Right now I have bitter apple sprayed on everything kitten level on the tree, but what else can I do?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Cool Cat

Re: When outdoors comes in the woes of a christmas tree

Um...you've just erected the perfect cat tree, complete with bangles and baubles....

0_o

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

I've heard that cats don't like tin foil, you could make a skirt using foil and see if that helps?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Premier Cat

When Pesty found us, and came into our home, he was VERY interested in the X-mas tree. One thing that worked for me was to use a spray bottle filled with water, and whenever he was after the tree, he got squirted with water. He learned very quickly, and after that he never bothered it, even decorated. I didn't like the idea of yelling, or chasing him away, because I didn't want him to become scared of me, but with the water, he was more fixated on the water itself, and not where it came from.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Tie the tree up...I have a plant hook in the ceiling above where the tree goes and run a thin rope to it, you could also use fishing line. When I have a kitten in the house I have a set of plastic ornaments coated with foil so they look like glass (Walmart...100 for like $15-20). No garland or tinsel...I use bows and stick some silk poinsettias in here and there. You could also use wide ribbon (the kind with wire along the edges). I also put bells on the tree so I know if someone is messing with it when I'm not in the room.

Holly has been well behaved with the tree for her first 2 Christmases, so this year I'm going back to the 'good' ornaments (I have collected a lot of Lenox and Mikasa over the years). Those will go on the top half, the bottom will get wood, resin, metal etc. Wish me luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Premier Cat

I think we should just hang Q-tips all over the tree instead of ornaments, and watch them go crazy snatching them and hiding them somewhere else.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Cool Cat

What worries me is the tree itself. I've never thought about it before, but now I'm noticing that all the fake greenery I'm seeing at Target has a warning by the State of California that the product contains lead. Is California just being California with these, or is this something I need to be worried about? Stormy likes to chew on my artificial tree.

Hmm. Doing a little reading suggests that the problem is the tree contains PVC which can contain lead. If chewing on PVC is a problem then I have bigger problems, since that's what power cords are made of, and Stormy likes to snack on those, too...

Maybe I ought to pick up a lead test kit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Jr. Cat

We have 3 kitties and our "middle child", Tweek, is the only one who will mess with the tree. He LOVES to climb up about half way and lay on the branches inside the tree. He's my most adorable ornament -- those huge eyes peeking out at you! Therefore, I don't use garland or tinsel and only use non-breakable decorations. He's yet to topple the tree, thank goodness. The other two kidz prefer to lay under the tree amongst the presents. This year, I'm more worried about the two golden retriever puppies we recently adopted, Lucy and Schroeder. They are now 11 weeks old.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Cat

This will be our first Christmas with the beasties, too. We were thinking to just put the tree up undecorated for a while and let them knock it over and get scared of it before we decorate it, but I'm not sure how well that will work since it sounds like Lilac's foster trio weren't deterred by a falling tree. And the squirt bottle only works as a detterent while we are there to do the squirting. Those shatterproof ornaments are definitely on our "to buy" list, and I guess we'll just play it by ear!

Dragonfly, as far as the puppies go, when my cousin's twins were toddling-age, they put a baby gate/fence up around the base of the tree. I would think the same solution might work for dogs - but definitely not for cats!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Jr. Cat

To weebeasties:

What a great idea!!!! We need to buy an extra gate anyway so we may as well get one that will work around the tree. Thanks so much!

Marsha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page