I'm going for an overseas trip! What will happen to my cat?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm going for an overseas trip! What will happen to my cat?!

I'm going to Malaysia (from Singapore) to see my grandmother, since it's the holidays...

I'm most unwilling, but still, my mom forced me to tag along.

The trip will last for 3 days, and my kitty must stay at home alone.

My mom's plan is to leave two litter trays full with litter, and entrust my neighbour with our house key to refill the food and water in the containers. But I'm somewhat worried, and my neighbour... I wonder if she will do it right. In fact I don't even know if she's trustworthy.

Can I just leave alot of food and water? Will my cat know how to ration the food and not finish everything? As for water, it's fine, because Zam don't drink alot of it... And he drinks from everywhere. Even the toilet floor. So it's fine... I think...

I'm really worried, but I don't see pet hotels anywhere in the vicinity neither. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Re: I'm going for an overseas trip! What will happen to my cat?!

we've left for 5 days before and just left ALOT of food and ALOT of water. I worried like crazy but he was fine. ..I'm sure he loved having free roam of the house...lol if he had a birthday suit it would hve been off!

im sure your kitty will be fine. If you don't trust the girl...i wouldn't let her do it.

JUST HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP!! he'll be fine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Does your cat free-feed now?

Even if you don't trust your neighbor, I'd still leave the key with her and hope she stops by once a day. Kitties can get in a lot of mischief, and by Day 3, Zam may be bored enough to get into things you'd never think of.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeeeka
we've left for 5 days before and just left ALOT of food and ALOT of water. I worried like crazy but he was fine. ..I'm sure he loved having free roam of the house...lol if he had a birthday suit it would hve been off!

im sure your kitty will be fine. If you don't trust the girl...i wouldn't let her do it.

Wow. Won't he get bored and lonely?

Anyway I won't have fun on my trip...

I HATE GOING THERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Does your cat free-feed now?

Even if you don't trust your neighbor, I'd still leave the key with her and hope she stops by once a day. Kitties can get in a lot of mischief, and by Day 3, Zam may be bored enough to get into things you'd never think of.
What's free-feed?

But even if my neighbour DOES stop by, she'll just feed and go. Would that make Zam not so bored?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu
But even if my neighbour DOES stop by, she'll just feed and go. Would that make Zam not so bored?
Three days is not a long time for a kitty; Zam will be okay.
It would be better if your neighbor comes at different times during the day. That way Zam is not so likely to lie in wait for her and run outside.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Do you leave dry food out all the time and he just eats what he wants? that's free-feeding.

Or do you feed regular meals - wet or dry?

Usually when someone cat-sits, they change the water, clean the litterbox - and PLAY with the cat. But lots of people leave their cats alone for two days quite often. One more day - with someone to stop by at least to check on Zam to make sure he hasn't gotten himself into any mischief - should be okay. Leave lots of toys out for him to play with.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Do you leave dry food out all the time and he just eats what he wants? that's free-feeding.

Or do you feed regular meals - wet or dry?

Usually when someone cat-sits, they change the water, clean the litterbox - and PLAY with the cat. But lots of people leave their cats alone for two days quite often. One more day - with someone to stop by at least to check on Zam to make sure he hasn't gotten himself into any mischief - should be okay. Leave lots of toys out for him to play with.
Oh. I don't free-feed him then.

I feed regular meals three times a day with dry food. Wet food comes as a treat, but it's somewhat rare.

Anyway my neighbour won't "cat-sit" if she helps out. She'll just refill the water and food, and then leave.

And there are lots of stuff for him to play. xD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu
Quote:

Wow. Won't he get bored and lonely?

Anyway I won't have fun on my trip...

I HATE GOING THERE.
leave him plenty of toys and he should be fine although I just read you don't free feed...i dunno how that would go over leaving lots of food out. he might feel WOOOOOOOO FOOD! lol and stuff himself silly...so maybe u should get the neighbor to stop by.

aww im sorry...well you can try....it's a place not alot of people can go. I'd love to see photos
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
aww im sorry...well you can try....it's a place not alot of people can go. I'd love to see photos
I don't think there will be any photos.

It's just going to my grandmother's house, stoning there and staying there for 3 days....

I HATE IT...

Anyway there're loads of toys scattered across. Zam is smart enough to dig feathery stuff from my brother's drawer... xD

There's once when I fed too much and Zam didn't eat them all. He left a bit there and walked off...

Later in the day when he was hungry he went to eat the leftovers.

So it should be fine?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

I think he should be fine, especially if your neighbor is going to stop by once a day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page