Trimming nails - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trimming nails

I just can't do it alone. I can get one paw at a time with Cali, but usually only one nail at a time with Charlee. With their long hair, it takes so long just to find the darned nail. And Cleo kneads me at night in a very tender spot on my arm, and she's breaking my skin and it hurts, so I finally just gave up and took the girls (except Cinderella) to the groomer. $15 per cat. Yikes. I held the cats for her, hoping she'd take some off for that.

She didn't even charge me. I felt bad, because that's $45 right out of her pocket, but it does only take her about 3 minutes per cat. She said she had extra time, her next appointment wasn't there yet, plus I had to wait about 15 minutes past my appointment time because she was bathing the cat from ****. I'm really going to have to do something extra nice for her when I'm working again.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Re: Trimming nails

I'm developing a cheap DIY solution for one person to trim a frisky cat's nails,
but it's not ready to publish, and some may object to my methods, so until then;

I suggest you get the cats nails trimmed by a groomer or with a friend securing
them at least twice over 2 weeks apart. once you get the sharpest hook of the nail
dulled, it should be easier to do it on your own whenever your cat is cooperative, but
you really have to make sure you hit every nail, every 2-3 weeks, or the sharp edge
will come back, and you'll have to start all over again with assisting trimmings.
Don't forget to trim that hidden "switchblade" thumb nail on their front paws.

I would not bother with those $20 restraining bags,
as they don't work without a second person either,
if your cat's are as squirmy and frisky as mine get.
depending on the cat and your strength and patience
you might be able to roll up your cat in a towel to
isolate his squims from his paws, but I have had no
luck with that method alone either. I also found that
making your cat sleepy with Benadryl or Rescue Remedy
does little to relax the cat during squirmy manhandling.
being sleepy only helps they recover from the ordeal.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Premier Cat

Glad you got a break! Have you tried trimming Cinderella's nails yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by petspy
I'm developing a cheap DIY solution for one person to trim a frisky cat's nails,
but it's not ready to publish, and some may object to my methods, so until then;
I look forward to seeing your solution.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I had to take her in for "the works" a couple weeks ago, so she got her nails done then. If you look it up, you'll find that Birmans' fur doesn't mat. LIE! She had a bad one on her chest and a couple of other little ones. The groomer is so wonderful. I would have just cut it off, it was really big and bad, but she combed it out. It helps that Cinderella will sit there and let her. She knows who's in charge - she won't let me. I've clipped her nails once, but I have to speak sternly to her, and I don't like to.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L
Quote:
Originally Posted by petspy

I look forward to seeing your solution.
Pretty sure it will involve consuming alcohol. Either by the cat, the owner, or both!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Cat Addict

I used to have a terrible time trimming my boys nails...I hated it. I put it off forever. I'd manage to get one or two nails done per day. By the time I finished all 4 cats, It'd be time to trim them again.

Happily, I have recently developed my own DIY solution that works PERFECTLY. I am barely aware that their nails are being trimmed. It's wonderful. All I had to do was ask my sister to move in with me. She trims their nails now. Voila! Problem solved!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
I used to have a terrible time trimming my boys nails...I hated it. I put it off forever. I'd manage to get one or two nails done per day. By the time I finished all 4 cats, It'd be time to trim them again.

Happily, I have recently developed my own DIY solution that works PERFECTLY. I am barely aware that their nails are being trimmed. It's wonderful. All I had to do was ask my sister to move in with me. She trims their nails now. Voila! Problem solved!
There you go Marie, you should pick someone up off of the street to help with the trimming.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats Marie! There are some very generous people in this world!!! That's awesome!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Premier Cat

In this day of vet charges going up exponentially, that's really nice! They should do stuff like that . . .chalk it up to public relations.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page