Travels With Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Travels With Kitty

At the end of this semester, I have 7 weeks off in which to write my senior thesis. I want to spend much of that time at home with my parents (who live very close, about 40 minutes away) because my boyfriend has to move across the country for school and I'll be living alone. My parents have two dogs who I am sure would have trouble getting along with my kitty, Dexter, and my mother is very allergic as well. I've visited them before and kept him in my room, but my room is maybe a quarter of the amount of space he has at my apartment and we were only there one night. I'm talking about staying for a week or two at a time, maybe more. I really have no choice but to keep him in my room. Could this be bad for him, having so little space and being moved around so frequently? I'd also like to visit my parents most weekends once the semester starts up again. Would this frequent travel cause any problems, or is it more of a wait-and-see scenario? He's a pretty adaptable kitty. When we got him, they said to let him have a good few hours to get used to the new place and to leave him alone until he seemed ready to come out, but within 30 seconds he was walking around like he owned the place. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Travels With Kitty

It sounds like an awful lot of traveling--especially the going home on weekends part. Most cats do best in their home environment.

Perhaps he would do fine on the trips to your parents where you stay for a week or two at a time--I think being contained to a bedroom assuming he has lots of toys, access to look out a window and maybe a cat tree would be fine.

But again I'd think that on the weekends a cat sitter would be beneficial--although honestly when we only had Jack we'd leave him for the weekend---Friday night to Sunday night and he'd be fine, plenty of water and dry food and two good clean boxes.

Leslie
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Some cats do fine with traveling and new places others don't. I think you'll just have to try it and see. I can tell you that my first cat, Onyx, went all over the place...to my parents on weekends (about 50 miles away), to my grandmother's in NJ, a family friend in NJ...at one point she had litter boxes in 4 different houses in 3 states. The thing is, I started this with her when she was a kitten, so it was what she always knew.

Confining a cat to one room for a couple weeks is not a problem. I would hate to see a cat live that way for their whole life, but short periods of time here and there are fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

My cat travels with me very frequently (at least once a month) to my mothers by train. She lives 300 miles miles away and he does just fine, despite being a very timid cat by nature.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

Despite rude people who say he smells
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Despite rude people who say he smells
There is that to consider. But there will always be intolerant misery guts.

Mind you he really did smell the other day when he did a number two on the bus on the way home from the vets ....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses! I have mixed feelings...I'd like to keep him with me (I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to catproof well enough to feel like I was sure he'd be safe...but I guess if I'm ok leaving him for two hours, why not for two days?) but I also don't want him to feel too disrupted. So far, he's seemed really okay traveling, and for the next few years, I'm afraid I'll have to move around a lot. I'm graduating in May, and I will likely spend the summer in California (I currently live in Maryland), and perhaps begin graduate school work there as well (though probably in a different town). So, it's good he's a kitten, getting him used to travel would be a good thing. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of that for awhile!

Poor guy will have to fly across the country with me at least once in the next year, depending on where I get into graduate school
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Another question: This might sound silly, but how would I be able to tell if the travel was adversely affecting him? What changes in behavior should I keep an eye out for?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater
Another question: This might sound silly, but how would I be able to tell if the travel was adversely affecting him? What changes in behavior should I keep an eye out for?
Sullen behavior, stress that brings on URI or litter box problems! I agree with Doodlebug ~ if he starts out as a kitten traveling and new homes frequently he will be fine.

If he is confined to a bedroom it will be OK. Its like a giant kennel. Esp if he had a window to look out of, toys and time to interact with you in the bedroom. He will be sleeping with you so that is a major comfort to a cat
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I have a nice big window, and a portable heater right below it. He can sit at the head of my bed and look out the window, I will be sure to raise the blinds. He does love looking out our glass door here at the apartment, I am sure he'll love looking out the window of my parents' house as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page