Hair color change - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
Hair color change

I adopted an abandoned female calico kitten (orange, white, and black patches) when she was about 12 weeks old. At that time the hair on her back was almost solid black. Now, 2 months later, there is a lot of orange hair coming through the black. Is it normal for their hair to change at that age?

This is my first calico. (Well, actually I've only had 3 cats ever, so no experience here.)
Nancy_in_GA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Guntersville, Alabama, USA
Posts: 5,755
Re: Hair color change

Is your kitty getting more sun now, since you've adopted her? What you're seeing could be sun fading, which is pretty common in outdoor or indoor/outdoor kitties.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
gunterkat is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 35
Re: Hair color change

She was living in a hollow log when I found her, but I don't believe she ever came out except after dark. She was quite wild at the time, maybe even born there. Now she is indoor only.
Nancy_in_GA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
marie73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28,470
Re: Hair color change

My girls' coloring definitely changed in the past year and a half. They were mostly white with light coloring when they were little.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
marie73 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Hair color change

Their furs sometimes change in monotone only. My cat used to be pure black, now I'm seeing some streaks of orange and white.
rochie is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monroe, GA
Posts: 13,410
Re: Hair color change

It is typical for tortoiseshell (black and orange hairs inter-mixed instead of side-by-side and well-defined patches) calico cats to visibly express more of their orange hairs as they mature.



Heidi n Q is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Cat Addict
 
RachandNito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,232
Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Hair color change

I have a black and white DMH and his black patches started showing white hairs in them a few years ago. Since then, the black parts have shrunk a little bit, and he still has stray white hairs in his black parts.

Maybe he's just getting old.
RachandNito is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat
 
my5kitties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montclair, CA, USA
Posts: 3,181
Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Re: Hair color change

When we took in Midnight, she was 1) nine months old and 2) 99.99% black, with the other 0.01% being a few strands of white fur here and there. Now, our princess is 4 years old and while she's still mostly black, she has more stray white fur here and there, mainly on her chest.

----------
Renée
my5kitties is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome