Moving, but no one will take my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Moving, but no one will take my cat

I'm moving in a week and for the past couple of months I've tried several attempts to find a new owner for my cat. I've asked people I know, put up signs around my apartment complex, and even the humane society said no because they're full. It's an outdoor cat for the most part, and I would prefer for it to continue living that way because she obviously loves it much better outside than inside. What other option is there besides leaving her behind in some remote location?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Moving, but no one will take my cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveman1
What other option is there besides leaving her behind in some remote location?
How about being a responsible pet owner? Sometimes that means making hard decisions. My apologies if that sounds snarky, it isn't meant to be, there is just no kind way to say it.

I would hope, truly and sincerely, that you not abandon your cat if you cannot find it a home.
If circumstances progress to that level, I would prefer to see the cat humanely euthanized. Yes, there are arguments about 'if I leave the cat outside somewhere it may survive and find a different home'...but I'd say that is only successful a very small portion of the time, due to people who already have pets and their pets (or established ferals) defend their territories, shelter and food resources, keeping your cat-in-need away. Most of the time, I'd say that kind of life is short, hard and ends badly for the cat with suffering of injury, illness and starvation very real probabilities before death occurs. No love. Just dying alone and abandoned.
I would much rather KNOW how my cat ended up, rather than not know and blindly hope everything turned out well for it.

Are your moving circumstances such that you absolutely cannot bring your cat with you? I wish you luck in being able to find your kitty a home.
Heidi

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Cat

Take her with you because she is your responsibilty and "leaving her behind in some remote location"" is irresponsible.

Just a crazy idea.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Premier Cat

Abandoning your cat outside just isn't an option. How about putting an ad on Craig's List? I know someone who found homes for 6 or 7 cats that way who she was fostering.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm going into the military, so there's absolutely no way I could bring her with me.

Given the options of either putting her in the wild, or euthanizing her, I would personally prefer the first. I understand it would be tough to survive, but I'll do my best to find a location that provides plentiful sources of potential food for cats, such as rats and birds. My cat is outside all day as it is, so the main question is if she can find enough food for herself instead of relying on humans. I would like to give her at least some chance of survival, as opposed to zero chance.

*I've put up ads on craigslist three different occasions and I haven't received any responses.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

Do you live close to me?

Feed Stores.
Veterinary Offices.
Cat Rescues.
Training/Boarding Stables.
Contact all of these resources and inform staff and post fliers that you are looking for an outside barn situation for your cat.
I, for one, would prefer NOT to hear about a cat purposely being dumped and abandoned somewhere. And that is exactly what it will be if you go through with that. You won't be doing your cat any favors. I would consider that a very heartless thing to do to a pet who loves and trusts its' human. You will have betrayed that cat.

Can you bring your cat to someone who would accept it? How close do you live to me?

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Do you live close to me?
Charlotte, NC.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressiveman1
I'm going into the military, so there's absolutely no way I could bring her with me.

Given the options of either putting her in the wild, or euthanizing her, I would personally prefer the first. I understand it would be tough to survive, but I'll do my best to find a location that provides plentiful sources of potential food for cats, such as rats and birds. My cat is outside all day as it is, so the main question is if she can find enough food for herself instead of relying on humans. I would like to give her at least some chance of survival, as opposed to zero chance.

*I've put up ads on craigslist three different occasions and I haven't received any responses.

I guess if it is a chance for survival your getting shot at and your buddy is shot in the leg but you might get shot if you bring him with you your going to tuck tail and run and let "the wild" get to him or see if he can survive in it.

Your irresponsible, and I sure as **** would not want you covering me. You never should have taken on the ownership of a cat not being able to provide for it. ****, I'm unemployed, moving in 2 days yet still manged to put $500 in vet care into my cat and although it broke me was worth every cent.

To leave a cat behind is pathetic. Parents, somebody has to be willing.

There ARE options, your just not looking hard enough.

http://www.guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/

If it means you have to drive 90-100 miles to get that cat into a no kill shelter or home it should be no question of willingness to do it in your mind.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Cat Addict

There are definite options, as everyone has said. You had tried posting on criagslist, try Kijiji. I posted my litter of 10 kittens on both, i got 1 adoption out of craigslist, about 6 out of Kijiji, and the other 3 went to people i knew. Kijiji gets more traffic.

Also, even though your cat is mostly an outdoor cat abandoning her is still abandonment.
In the condo complex where I live people do that all the time. That's why I'm taking care of a feral colony right now. I'm going to assume that she is fixed, because you would have had kittens already otherwise, so that's one positive. But still. Some of these cats are mostly outdoor cats, then when it gets cold all of a sudden they don't know what to do. I have a cat shelter set up, most places do not. What would happen if she was outside in winter? I bet she spends much more time inside then.

Have you tried putting up posters, advertising in the paper, calling rescues other than the spca/humane society? They will usually take an animal if it's urgent.

If you abandon this cat, regardless of how capable she is of hunting, chances are that she will die. How kind does that sound?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned

At the risk of being accused of 'back seat moderating', I think people ought to ease up just a tad here. I agree that leaving a cat to fend for itself should simply not be an option but the OP must be in a sticky situation. I'm not convinced attacking him is going to achieve anything.

Sadly, I'm in the UK or I'd help.

I agree with Husky42 to a certain extent - if theres no places that will take the cat in your immediate area then please find the nearest one and drive her there. Make sure they know the urgency of the situation. Tell them you are thinking of taking drastic action if they dont take her.

Please do not force her to take care of herself on her own. Chances are she will at some point die, unless she is lucky enough to have someone find her. Heck, leave her in her carrier outside of a cat shelter and run off if you have to. Thats not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but anything is better than leaving her on her own outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page