Cat Forum banner

New Kitten or not?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am not very active on this board, mostly just "lurk" around and read the posts, but today I need your advise please.

My lovely Ginger Boy, Gizmo, was run over on Monday night :angel

I only had the two kitties, Gizmo and Chloe.They weren't the best of friends but they did play with eachother quite often. Now I am wondering if Chloe will miss having a friend... should I get a new kitty or just leave it and see how it goes. I don't want Chloe wondering off looking for "friends" but I also don't want her wondering off because of a new addition to the family...

What do you guys think?

Thank You... Melissa

#2 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about Gizmo. How terrible for you.

From what I've read and heard it's not easy to predict whether or not a cat will take to a new addition. I think I'd probably leave it for a bit. I don't think cats tend to go out looking for friends (unless they haven't been neutered!), but I do know that some cats can resent newcomers to the home.

If you do decide to get a new kitten, there is pleny of advice on here about intorducing new cats to each other.

seashell

#3 ·
I'm so sorry about Gizmo. :(

Since you live in an area where there is danger from cars, I would softly suggest you keep Chloe inside, so she won't wander off for any reason.

Only get another cat if YOU want one. There's no guarantee they'll get along, so you always have to be prepared for that. Yes, I'm speaking from experience. Cinderella and Cleo don't fight, they just co-exist. Thankfully, I fell in love with Cleo when I went to meet her, so she was mine no matter what. :D

#5 ·
Thank You for the condolences everyone. I really do miss him a lot!

As for getting another kitty, I would get another one in a heartbeat but being unsure of how Chloe will react is what’s stopping me. I guess I’m going to wait and see how things go.

#6 ·
You could offer to foster a kitten (if you can do that where you live) and see her reaction. That way, you could keep it if things go well, or adopt her out if they don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.