stray cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
ajm

stray cat

A cat was at my pattio window crying pretty loud last night the weather has also been real code (in the 30s). At first I thought it was one with a home that gets let out on occasion around here but after offering it some food and watching it eat it was obvious the cat was a stray. He went away and came back a few times throughout the night to eat. Same thing today. He is somewhat skinny, has a swollen leg which he bit me when I tried to get close to touching it, and a scratch on the side of his face. My cat seems to get along with him through the window and screen. I would like to bring him and give him a warm place to stay but I am worried about him possibly getting my current cat sick although he does have all his shots etc. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to try and find a place that does shots and such at a lowered price if so I will keep him but in the mean time when he is outside he breathes fine. When I let him walk into my living room he starts making a gagging type noise when he breaths such as he is about to throw up but doesnt. Is there a common sickness or something he might have? Also he looked fine as far as fleas go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Banned

Re: stray cat

Hi. If you can bring him inside and keep him quarantined in one room away from your cat, then that will be OK until you get him vaccinated. I did that with Willie when I found him outside in very cold weather back in 2001.

As for low cost vaccines, the best advice I can tell you is to call your local chapter of the Humane Society/Animal Protective League. They would be far more impartial for low cost vaccinations than your vet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Premier Cat

I hope you're able to keep this kitty! Poor thing. Let us know how it goes.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Premier Cat

Aweee, poor cold kitty. Yes, best to keep him away from your cat until you know he is healthy, and vaccinated. Good luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Premier Cat

He sounds like he's been in a fight, or two, poor thing. It is so good that you are looking after him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Before you can bring him in, please provide an inexpensive shelter for him. A styrofoam box turned lid down, with an opening cut for a door or even a heavy cardboard box covered with plastic with a layer of straw would protect this poor kitty from the cold. Cats can't tolerate much cold, poor things.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
ajm

I have given him a cardboard box laid sidways with food/water and a few towels with hand wamers under the towel so far. He keeps comming back so I guess thats a good thing. When I have called the shelters I just get recordings and what not so tomorrow I will look into it more since I have off. On occasion I put my cat in the bedroom and let the stray come into the living room and play with him. He seems to be very playful and keeps wanting attention if I quite petting him. The only "problem" ive had is one time I reached in his box to feel if it was warm and I got close to the food and he lightly bit me. The coughing/gaging/odd noise I was talking about he only does when he seems to be scared or mad.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It would be wise to have the stray tested before allowing him to play with your cat. I hope all is well.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Premier Cat

You might be seeing a cough/bark, an instinctive signal when danger is present. Look to see if he 'stamps' a front paw with that vocalization.
He gave you a little warning bite, saying, "Stay offa my food!".

You could get a large sheet of clear plastic and tape it over the box for better weatherproofing.

Let us know how it's going. Pictures, pictures!!
I agree, you should get a clean bill of health on him before you let him play with your cat

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
ajm

I was in a bit of a hurry in that last post and made a mistake. I meant I lock my cat up in the room and let the stray come into the living room and I play with him. As for his aggressivness it seem like it is a way for him to get me to stay away. I just tried to put some hand wamers in his box and he got a bit frustrated and made his noise and put a paw up at me in a swatting kind of way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page