New to Feline Fresh - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
JEC
Kitten

New to Feline Fresh

Hi:

New to the forum... and new to Feline Fresh (pine pellets). We've had out cat for just over two years, and we've been on the hunt for cat litter solutions almost the entire time. We've tried various litters, and recently, after a failed attempt to train our cat to use the toilet (it went really well until the last week, then he preceded to pee on my brand new sheets and inside of our recycling box, pooped in the sink and on the floor - so out came the litter box again), starting using the clumping, flushable litter. I loved the convenience of this stuff, but started to notice the dust and an increasingly irritating cough. The litter was tracked throughout the house, but so was the larger clumping, non-flushable litter.

Anyways, the other day I did some searching on the Internet and discovered that not only could the clay-based litters be hazardous to my health and my cats health (I'll leave the debate over whether it is or isn't harmful to the professionals and just go for the safer alternative) but also the many issues around environmental impacts (including mining and landfill issues). Through this process I discovered that there were a number of more natural, less environmentally damaging products and decided to give one a try.

After careful research (what DID we do before the Internet?) I decided on the pine pellet products. My local store didn't have Feline Pine, but they did have Feline Fresh.

Came home, cleaned the litter box (washed the dust off the walls, counters, floors, yuck!) and put in some of the Feline Pine. Luckily, my cat has already been introduced to this type of product while on holidays at the kennels, so he wasn't fazed by it at all.

So, my question is (sorry it took so long to get here)... how do I clean the litter box? He performed a number one tonight (to much fanfare and praise) and I got to see what happens to the pellets (they crumble ), but I don't understand how I get the stuff out of there. I know there are special litter boxes with two trays, one with a mesh above and the lower tray that catches the sawdust, but I'm hoping we can somehow make the box we have now work.

How do I separate the dust from the pellets? Or do I just leave it in there (removing only number two's) and remove it when all the pellets have turned to dust? I was thinking some sort of sieve might work, but it could turn into quite the production!

Hope this makes sense. Sorry it's so long. Really want to make this work...

Cheers,
JEC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Cat Addict

Re: New to Feline Fresh

I have used similar litters, and if you can't get one of the sifting trays there is another way.

Scoop the #2s, then thump the side of the box really hard. That will make the dust/shaving stuff fall to the bottom. You do need to change it more often, but it's pretty good odor control.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

Re: New to Feline Fresh

I hope the pine litter solution works well for you and your kitty.

Sam (R.B. kitty) used the toilet if the littler box was too stinky for him. But he always complained to me afterward to go clean his litter box. He looked like using the toilet was very awkward for him.
I guess your cat found using the toilet awkward, too.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page