Injured Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Injured Cat

Good Morning All...

I hope this is the right place to post....

I would like to know if anyone have had experience with their cat being involved in a road accident please?

My lovely boy "Kobus" have been knocked by a car on saturday and he'll propably be coming home tomorrow from hospital in a cage to be kept in 4-6 weeks for him to heal.

Any advice would be appreciated please. He is a very lively boy and I'd like to know how I'm going to keep him caged in for that long.

I appreciate your advice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Injured Cat

Poor Kobus. What sort of injuries did he sustain? If he gets too stir crazy in the crate do you have a bathroom that you could keep him in which would still somewhat contain his movements?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

His got a crack in his pelvis - where the tail meets the pelvis.

I don't have a small enough bathroom.

The Vet ensured me that the cage is big enough for him to be comfortable and he will be able to move - but not too much.

Would it be a good idea to get the feliway plug-ins?

I'm going to put the cage in my living room - not sure how my other cat Jacks will react to him in a cage.

Do you know if he should be fed something special? (I've never had a cat that sustained an injury this bad)

Thank you for your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Be prepared for your other cats to treat him like a stranger. He's going to smell different to them.

It's important to keep him inactive until he heals, so do follow the vet's orders. He'll probably complain, but don't give in. He'll get used to it after a while. I think in some cat way, he understands that you're doing this for his good. And cats heal fast, so this shouldn't last too long.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Be prepared for your other cats to treat him like a stranger. He's going to smell different to them.

It's important to keep him inactive until he heals, so do follow the vet's orders. He'll probably complain, but don't give in. He'll get used to it after a while. I think in some cat way, he understands that you're doing this for his good. And cats heal fast, so this shouldn't last too long.
Thank you for your post.... I only have two cats..hopefully Jacks will accept Kobus smelling different.. I think he will find it difficult to be kept in - he loves having the run of the house..and he wants to be with people all the time
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Premier Cat

A Feliway plugin could help Kobus be a little calmer, and help your other kitty not react too strongly to Kobus's new "vet" smell. You see, it's not so much the cage that your cat won't like, it'll be this kitty inside the cage who now has a strange smell. Cats primarily recognize each other by scent, and the vet will have washed away poor Kobus' "family smell", and replaced it with the nasty scents of disinfectants and antibiotics.
You can help the situation a little by rubbing a towel back and forth among your Jacks and Kobus, trading smells among the kitties and, putting back some of his "family scent". I've also heard here that putting a drop of vanilla extract between the shoulder blades of both your cats helps by giving everyone a "common scent".

Get well soon, Kobus!
(((HUGS)))
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
A Feliway plugin could help Kobus be a little calmer, and help your other kitties not react too strongly to Kobus's new "vet" smell. You see, it's not so much the cage that your cats won't like, it'll be this kitty inside the cage who now has a strange smell. Cats primarily recognize each other by scent, and the vet will have washed away poor Kobus' "family smell", and replaced it with the nasty scents of disinfectants and antibiotics.
You can help the situation a little by rubbing a towel back and forth among your cats and Kobus, trading smells among the kitties and, putting back some of his "family scent". I've also heard here that putting a drop of vanilla extract between the shoulder blades of all your cats helps by giving everyone a "common scent".

Get well soon, Kobus!
(((HUGS)))
Ah! thanks what a good tip! I will def make sure I do that....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Do you know if he should be fed something special? (
After our old cat had an operation the vet recommended boiled chicken or fish cut up very finely.

I do hope Kobus makes a good recovery.

seashell
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell
Quote:
Do you know if he should be fed something special? (
After our old cat had an operation the vet recommended boiled chicken or fish cut up very finely.

I do hope Kobus makes a good recovery.

seashell
Very good tip thank you so much
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM

I don't have any advice as I haven't encountered this situation, but I'm wish Kobus the best in his recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page