Tapeworm!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Tapeworm!!!!

Today I took Tweezer to the vet because he was sneezing blood. According to the vet that is not such an uncommon thing, but the shocker to me is that he has a tapeworm!!! He has been to the vet a couple of times since I got him in September, and his stool has been tested. When I asked why it had not been detected before they said that there might be a stool sample with nothing at all in it and the very next day there would be one full of whatever it is that lets them know there is a tapeworm. Today they found a tiny piece of tapeworm segment near his anus. The good news is that he is now treated for it. He is also on Doxycycline for the sneezing problem. Now that the tapeworm problem is solved he may actually get to keep all the nutrients in his food for himself and I'm sure that will help him also! At least it is not contagious to my other cats!

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tapeworm!!!!

I thought tapeworms are contagious.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Tapeworms can't be detected in stool samples unless one of those segments just happens to be in it. Those segments are how the tapeworm releases its eggs into the environment. The segments are living pieces of the tapeworm that crawl out through the cat's anus. So, seldom are they found in stool samples and most often the only way to tell a cat has a tapeworm is discovering one of those segments.

John, tapeworms aren't contagious. Their life cycle requires them to spend time inside a flea. Cats ingest the fleas when they eat mice or when they clean themselves and that's how they get tapeworms. These tapeworms can't be transmitted to humans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Tweezer was given Revolution the day after he came to live with me in September. He has never been exposed to fleas in the time since. It just shocks me that he has had a tapeworm all that time and nobody knew. YUCK!

Sue

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Tweezer. I hope that he feels better soon.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u

Poor Tweezer !!! Hope he gets better soon !!

NONE of my cats go outside and there are NO fleas in my house, but yet all three of my kitties have had tapeworms in the past few months. How do I know there are no fleas? I am highly allergic to them and I would know if I got bit by one.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

I didn't mean contagious to humans, I meant contagious among kitties. I should have expressed myself more clearly.

I hope Tweezer feels better soon!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Banned

Oh, sorry, John. Now I feel
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders

Poor Tweezer, I hope he recovers fast!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

They gave him a pill at the vets office and told me it should be all he needs, so he sould be tape-worm free pretty soon. They also told me that the tape-worm could have been causing his gas problem. My darling Tweezer is literally a little stinker!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page