Senior Cat Health Care - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Senior Cat Health Care

Hi there,

My manx cat is senior but healthy. I would like to share how we care the senior cat in general.

Regards,
Yoshi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Senior Cat Health Care

I have a 12 year old cat and I've been running bloodwork on her every year since she was 10. It gives us a baseline to see if the numbers change and may catch something in the early stages so it can be treated sooner.

Watch eating, drinking and litter box habits more closely...a hyperthyroid cat eats tons of food. A cat with kidney failure or diabetes will drink tons of water and will flood the litter box. Watch their weight more carefully...unexplained weight loss is an indicator for many diseases. And be aware of the condition of the coat...excessive shedding or dully spiky fur is also a sign of illness. Of course these things are all the things that should be watched for in a cat throughout it's life, but I'm more diligent about it and likely to go to the vet sooner with my senior cat.

Older cats can develop arthritis, so make it easier for them to climb on the bed or couch by putting a box or something they can use as a step so they don't have to jump as far. Consider a joint supplement such as cosequin if you see signs of arthritis. If you live in a cold climate a heated bed may be welcomed by the kitty.

Keep the cat engaged in play and exercise and feed a good diet (I recommend all wet food for any cat, but especially seniors).

And appreciate every day with them knowing their time is short, so give them extra love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I have a 12 year old cat and I've been running bloodwork on her every year since she was 10. It gives us a baseline to see if the numbers change and may catch something in the early stages so it can be treated sooner.

Watch eating, drinking and litter box habits more closely...a hyperthyroid cat eats tons of food. A cat with kidney failure or diabetes will drink tons of water and will flood the litter box. Watch their weight more carefully...unexplained weight loss is an indicator for many diseases. And be aware of the condition of the coat...excessive shedding or dully spiky fur is also a sign of illness. Of course these things are all the things that should be watched for in a cat throughout it's life, but I'm more diligent about it and likely to go to the vet sooner with my senior cat.

Older cats can develop arthritis, so make it easier for them to climb on the bed or couch by putting a box or something they can use as a step so they don't have to jump as far. Consider a joint supplement such as cosequin if you see signs of arthritis. If you live in a cold climate a heated bed may be welcomed by the kitty.

Keep the cat engaged in play and exercise and feed a good diet (I recommend all wet food for any cat, but especially seniors).

And appreciate every day with them knowing their time is short, so give them extra love.
Hi,

My cat, Kage is 20 years old in this Christmas. He eats a lot as he wants. Of course, he eats senior cat dry food.
I care him as he cares me. He is spending his life at the quiet and warm environment. He is quite healthy both physical and mental.
He needs those appropriate living environment and it would be same for us human being. If not, our life would be short.

Thanks for replying,
Yoshi,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Cat

My oldest is 14. I don't do anything "special" such as bloodwork done or anything. If it acts healthy, happy etc. then just let 'em be. I don't see a reason to put a cat through tests without a reason.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving_My_Cats
My oldest is 14. I don't do anything "special" such as bloodwork done or anything. If it acts healthy, happy etc. then just let 'em be. I don't see a reason to put a cat through tests without a reason.

Hi,

14 years old is still young, I think. The best thing is giving comfortable living environment for cats, I think.
I don't do anything for him too. He eats a lot as he wants. As everybody knows that the cat kidney is weak but I just give him dry food for senior cat food. Plus he eats general canned cat food.

yoshi
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Just FYI.

my website, geocities isn't available due to over capacity for uploading data....... Hope this would be resolved soon.

The following is the alternative site that I have for my cat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finder2/

Regards,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Cat Addict

Kage looks like a happy healthy cat for such a senior boy. I also have a black cat, they are special.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Cool Cat

Kage is a lovely old gentleman You would never think he was 20 !

seashell
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Kage looks like a happy healthy cat for such a senior boy. I also have a black cat, they are special.

Hi,

Yes, a black cat is something special and dog too, I think.

As getting old, senior cat has many health problems like kidney and bowel and etc.
If we provide warm and an appropriate living environment to them as best as we could, they might be happy and living longer.
I used to think that I care him as he cares me a lot.

Thanks,

Yoshi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finder2/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

well,, he might be happy.
That's enough.

yoshi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page