fighting cats... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

fighting cats...

hey again.
i've got a serious catfighting problem here. at the beginning of november i moved into a new house, we've got 4 people and 5 cats here. i've been keeping my 3 cats mostly locked up in my bedroom because i wanted my room to be their 'safe' room. as i started letting them out, my cujo got into little spats with my roommate's cat, nolan. they were nothing big at first, but they've escalated into full blown cat fights. i came home today to find cujo with a bloodied back claw (i think it's torn off, does he needs a vet or will it heal up on it's own?) and a scratched nose. apparently, cujo broke out of my room and attacked nolan, and nolan at one point during the fight defecated and urinated, so i'm assuming thats a pretty serious fight.

i can't keep them in my room forever, it's driving me (and them) insane. any suggestions on what we can do to fix this situation? i've got a feliway diffuser in my room but the rest of the house is too big for that to do any good. there's no way to separate them between the floors, it's an open stairwell. we've been letting mine out while nolan is locked away and vice versa but mine are not happy locked up and are starting to tear up the carpet. i can't blame them, the room is far to small to have 3 cats in.

my only idea so far (which i have not tried) is to put them into carriers and let them have it out while they can't reach each other. don't know if that will do any good.

ideas? please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: fighting cats...

Perhaps you and your roommate could try restraining them, and then holding them in your lap while in the same room. Perhaps sit across the room from each other, and just let them get used to each other's presence. If they growl or start acting very naughty, punish them by putting them in a carrier, or back into the room. If they are good, give them treats.

But then again, sometimes cats will just never get along. When I used to bring Nito to my friend's house, Nito and her kitty Legion never were able to sort out their issues. Nito hates him for no good reason. Hopefully you are able to figure out something that works for you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

i'm not sure the holding thing would work, they get pretty agitated at the sight of each other and i've already been the victim of some redirected aggression. note to self- don't put a body part between angry cats have a staring match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

here's his hurt claw:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qY ... KzP9ta9FzA
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Cool Cat

I would strongly recommend trying to restain fighting cats.
Are both of the boys fixed?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

yeah, they're both fixed. all 5 kitties in the house are fixed.

when the fights started getting worse we just stopped letting them out together, today was just a fluke and cujo got loose. went straight for nolan, chased him upstairs then downstairs. i was gone for the fight, good thing too because i probably would have freaked seeing my baby bleeding.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I would watch that claw very carefully, and if you have any doubt, take him to the vet tomorrow. That's quite a wound.

Perhaps you could re-introduce the cats. Take a good two weeks or more.
It's always nice to see you here, Faile. I''m just sorry you're having problems.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

is it ok to put some neosporin or hydrogen peroxide or something on his claw?

hi jeanie! i wish i was here under better circumstances as well...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

Poor baby! That looks pretty bad. Treat it as you would a bad cut on a human - with antiseptic, some triple antibiotic ointment, and a clean bandage changed regularly. Might be a good idea to let a vet look at it, too.

Is that bone sticking out, to the right of the claw?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

I did a quick search on the forum and Google, and Neosporin seems to be okay, but hydrogen peroxide can kill healthy cells. One person said they use it 50/50 with water, but I would stick with Neosporin, and cover it with a bandaid or something so your cat doesn't lick it off.

Hope that helps...

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page