I was so stupid today - nearly lost my Tobe! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was so stupid today - nearly lost my Tobe!

I haven't been well today so stayed at home. Lunchtime I thought that something to eat might do me good so found some sausages and bacon. Grilled them, ate some of the bacon and decided to give Toby a treat of a few small pieces.

Next thing I know, he is choking! . After hitting him vigorously on the back and then putting my hand in his mouth to remove the offending item the emergency was over. But it was a very frightening experience.

Toby wont be getting bacon again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: I was so stupid today - nearly lost my Tobe!

What a scare! Thank goodness he's all right.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

Wow! I give my kitties little bits of meat, but I've always made sure it was smaller than their throat before I gave it to them. I had to learn (the hard way) about keeping cooling meats covered in the pan before they got transferred to a covered fridge dish. (I HATE the condensation on the inside of containers from too warm/hot food going into a cold fridge)
I've come into the kitchen a few times to see Mousie on the floor with a porkchop. I have been VERY good about keeping chicken away from her. We even put chicken and rib bones/garbage in a ziplock bag and back into the fridge until I am ready to take the garbage OUT of the house to the outside can.

Quick thinking on your part to save Toby! Can a heimlick maneuver be done on cats?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

I've seen the Heimlich maneuver for cats described somewhere. It's done differently than on humans. A cat could be injured doing it the same as on humans, according to that article. I wish I remember where it was I saw or read it. I suppose there's something on Google, but I don't think that's where I found it.

Allie, don't beat yourself up about it. You didn't do anything wrong. It was just one of those things. You know, stuff happens.....

ETA - well, I googled for it anyway. I found pages and pages describing a technique basically the same as the human technique, and then followed by this caution: if you have to do this to your pet, immediately take it to a vet because it's very easy to injure them by doing this. I can't find the alternate method that's supposedly safer to use. Maybe I dreamed it up?

One of the articles I found on Google described basically what Allie did: 1) hold the pet up off the floor by the hind legs; 2) hit it in the back between the shoulder blades; 3) stick your finger in its mouth. Then it goes on to say: if that doesn't work, then do the Heimlich Maneuver.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

What a close call! Good thing Toby is ok

Heidi- Is chicken bad for cats? Or did you mean just the bones?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Poor Allie! I'm sure Toby's been over it for quite some time, so please stop beating yourself up over this. Stuff happens. You probably reacted quicker and calmer than most people. It would have given me such a fright at the time - I can't even imagine - but give him extra, extra love and treats.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Toby! And poor you, Allie! That must've scared the heck out of you.
Good job saving Sir Toby!

I found this article for you, on how to save a choking kitty.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito
Heidi- Is chicken bad for cats? Or did you mean just the bones?
Just cooked bones because they splinter into sharp shards, but if we throw any chicken anything into the garbage (skin, meat, bones and even the pad that soaks up chicken fluids from the package) Mousie WILL dig it out. So we put it in a bag in the fridge until the kitchen garbage is ready to go to the outside can.

It is only chicken that Mousie goes nuts over. I can throw beef and pork trays/pads away and she won't dig them out. Only chicken.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Ah I see. Hehe, that's funny. I have to lock up Nito's treats or else he does the same thing. The other day, he even dug his empty can of wet food out of the garbage and licked it clean

Lil Fella, when he was younger, was adopted around the time of Thanksgiving. One evening, I was in the fridge, and Fella was sniffing around so I grabbed him a little piece of turkey from the leftovers in there. Well, he was crazy for it, and would go diving for the fridge whenever anyone opened it after that. He got locked in it once because he was so little and my dad was digging around in the top. Luckily we were frequenting the fridge that day and he wasn't in there long!

He didn't try getting in the fridge after that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Poor Allie! I'm sure Toby's been over it for quite some time, so please stop beating yourself up over this. Stuff happens. You probably reacted quicker and calmer than most people. It would have given me such a fright at the time - I can't even imagine - but give him extra, extra love and treats.
He ran away from me as soon as he was ok - probably due to me hitting him ( ) but was on my lap purring again within half an hour. He was my little nursemaid yesterday, looking after his ill Mummy.

I didnt feel any emotion at the time of the choking - I went almost into autopilot and concentrated on the job in hand - but I sure gave him a huge bear hug afterwards.

Scary stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page