Where to go cat-shopping? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Where to go cat-shopping?

That is, shopping for Percy. The key words here are QUALITY,and ECONOMICAL .

Litter,food,a new catbed,toys,low -cal treats,shampoos combs,cat sitter dvds,catnip... Daddy's on a BUDGET!

This is Daddy looking at bills.
This is Daddy, when he sees the price of cat stuff at retail stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Where to go cat-shopping?

Daddy, don't buy everything at once, spread it out over several months. Except for the food and cat litter. Buy that every month.

I go to Sam's Club and buy the 40# buckets of scoopable cat litter. I buy 2/mo for 10-12 cats. If you have fewer cats, of course it will last longer. I don't scrimp on the cat food. I used to buy Iams, but they changed their extruded shape and now I buy Innova and Evo, though I still feed Friskies canned food as a treat. Cat toys can be simple garbage (crumpled papers, bread twist ties and plastic milk rings) or just a few dollars for catnip and some soft furry toys with velcro bellies to put the 'nip into. I also like some of the plastic balls for them to bat around. I don't usually buy any toys with dyed leather because if the leather comes loose (or has a tail) Mousie would eat/vomit the loose pieces. I have bought several catbeds but before I had those I just used folded towels for them to lay on.
h

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

Try making some stuff yourself. You can save big bucks by being crafty.
And remember, kitties seem to appreciate the simplest things most.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
Try making some stuff yourself. You can save big bucks by being crafty.
And remember, kitties seem to appreciate the simplest things most.
I Agree. It is unbelievable what the fancy pet boutiques charge for a piece of felt stuffed with cat nip and tied with a ribbon. One of my catsí favorite toys, I got 3 for a dollar. They were homemade and for sale to benefit a cat rescue.

I grew my own catnip this summer. If you have a sunny window sill in your house (that the cats canít reach) you can grow it all year long.

I made a scratching post out of a log and one of my cats loves it. I looked into building a cat tree, but after figuring out how all the wood and carpet would have cost it wasnít so bad a deal to buy one.

I donít skimp on food. Only the best, although they prefer the junk. I figure if they eat healthier it will mean less vet visits down the road. There are online stores where you can buy cat food in bulk, but with shipping I donít know how much you would save.

I would not go crazy with the expensive cat beds. I found that a catís like of a cat bed is inversely proportional to how much you pay for it. The $75 dollar heated cat bed gets very little use, while the $10 floppy beds and cardboard boxes get the most use. If I put a fleece jacket down anywhere in the house , there is a cat on it in 10 seconds. I just tell my cat it was made by Prada or Coach and that seems to be enough for them.

I donít like the cheap cat litter, because it is so dusty. On of my cats is particular to a certain brand so I wait for sales and buy as much as I can.

I shampoo my cats so rarely I have had the same bottle for over two years. I use the cat wipes which arenít too expensive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Yarn is pretty cheap. My cat loves it. I've made a little yarn ball, and just some small lengths of yarn that my kitty loves to play with. You can get a huge amount of it at Walmart for $2.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks guys!

Ideas are beginning to form...
1 cushion+Percy's favorite afghan=a cat bed...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Cat

Toasty cat bed that they will love = one cardboard box with an old towel for a cushion
Toys = the rings from milk jugs, paper bags, more boxes, felt from the craft store, etc.
Littterbox - a large Rubbermaid tub from a cheap store like Walmart

The best thing to put your money into IMO is a good quality food.

Kitty Love = Priceless!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Cool Cat

Careful with the yarn... if they ingest it and it gets tangled in their intestines, they'll need surgery to remove it. That's not cheap!

I think cat beds are overrated. My cats think my bed is their bed. The rug is also their bed. My laptop is their bed. Any piece of paper that winds up on the floor is their bed. Random cardboard boxes are their bed. You get the idea.

My cats are also quite happy with the cheap cardboard scratching pads I got them at Petsmart.

No matter how much you spend on cat toys, they'll still ignore the toy to play with the package.

Cats are expensive but the big costs are the recurring things like food, litter, vet care, and pet sitting, which are expensive and shouldn't be skimped on. The other material things aren't as important.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

I have this wicker basket I was going to use for dog toys, but its a little small. I was cleaning my room one day and got it out of the closet... Skylar jumped in and spent hours just purring and napping. I thought it would be great to put a nice cozy fleece blanket in it and she'd be happy as a clam. She hasn't gone near it since.

Honestly, as most people have said - if its made for a cat, it'll be 5-10X as expensive as it would be on its own and the cat won't go near it. If its dropped on the floor, it'll be the greatest thing they ever discover. If you're using it... its automatically a comfy bed to sleep on.

I also agree that food is something worth putting money into. The rest you'll learn is usually not worth it

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

I shop for cat toys on Etsy.com. They all handmade and support artist working out of their homes. Plus their unique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page