free feeding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

free feeding

I noticed that Linus has gained quite a bit of weight since we got him. My question is should I continue to free feed him or should I set a schedule? How much should I give him and at what times of the day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Re: free feeding

HALVE the total daily amount recommended by whatever dry food bag you use (ie 4oz).
Leave the first half out in the morning(2oz), and the rest when I get home from work(2oz).
Try not to give in when your cat meows for more food - he'll get used to it soon enough.

http://www.2ndchance.info/catfood.htm

edited by Lisa 216
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Premier Cat

I was doing the same thing as you, and then all of a sudden, Pesty just began to "blossom" into quite the big kitty! I had to stop free feeding completely, and slowly, very slowly, get them all on a schedule. The only thing that worked for Pesty to lose weight was to feed him 1/8 of a cup of dry in the a.m., and then approx 3.5 oz of wet at night (actually, I split that into two feedings, but I work from home). I tried giving him 1/4 cup dry in the a.m., but he wasn't losing AT ALL! It wasn't until I cut him down to 1/8 cup, as someone mentioned on this forum, that he started to lose. He could stand to lose more, but I think he looks great now.

Hopefully just cutting him down to regular feedings will work for you. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Cat Addict

Great post above

I also recommend wet as it is better for cats...let us know if you can successfully manage the diet
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

As was mentioned on the "fat cat" segment of "Cats 101" last night on Animal Planet, the portions recommended in the feeding instructions you see on the food labels is a bunch of hooey. The proper amount to feed adult cats is the amount that maintains their weight. Thus it's a good idea to weight them periodically and adjust food according to weight gain or loss.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

The recommendations on Meow Mix is 1/2-1 cup per day. So should I give him 1/4 cup in the a.m. and 1/4 in the p.m. (since you need to split the recommendation in half)?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 PM

do you have a postage scale handy?
it may be more accurate to weigh kibble
then to go by it's volume filling an 8oz cup.

so when I suggest 4oz weight as an example,
that could fill a 8oz cup, or be half a cup,
depending on the kibble shape and density.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Senior Cat

Just another thought, Meow Mix is really full of carbs/fillers. These make a cat fat, no matter how much they eat of it because cats don't process it properly as they would a grainfree food.

Maybe you could switch to a dry that has less filler/grain? They actually eat much less of those kinds (works out, because grainfree can be pricey), and their poop stops smelling as much! If you could, I'd also suggest switching him to ALL wet food, as this really gets rid of the stinkypoo (wonderful thing that, when they stop clearing rooms with their stink). LOL

We noticed our cats stopped shedding as much, stopped killing us with the poops (after a few weeks of horrid poo to get rid of the 'crap' in their systems), and stopped vomiting as much when we went all wet. Any cheap wet is better than an all dry diet. Saves in vet bills too! Who would say no to that?!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Premier Cat

Even if you could switch to feeding wet for one feeding, like at night, with the dry in the morning. My kitties are sooooooooooo soft since I added in the wet!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 PM

asecretchord - don't let these wet/raw food pushers con you

I assume you are using Friskies because that is what is easy
to buy in your local market. maybe you can tell us about other
dry and canned foods that are easy for your to find and afford,
and we can steer you toward the ones with the best nutrition.

try to expand your list beyond the local super market,
to include large chains like Target, and area pet stores.

mean while, that half cup daily ration of kibble is a good start
toward lowering the food volume expectations of your cat,
but a cheap cat food may still keep your cat over weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page