christmas trees and cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

christmas trees and cats

pretty self explanatory... how in the world do you keep a cat away from the christmas tree??? simba is fine, if anything he will just lay under it, who cares. but boo, shes being a little bugger and trying to get at all teh ornaments. i caught her one time laying on the first layer of branches!! (its a fake tree). luckily its never lit unless we are right in the room to watch, so she wont get shocked. but, we dont want to spend our entire christmas season telling her no.

weve tried the squirt bottle, and firm NO's.... they only work momentarily, then shes back at it.

she never touches it when were all asleep... or gone. they all just sleep in that case. it seems to just be when we are in teh room also... but she gets more attention than she wants, so it cant be that she wants attention.

when i try to play with either of them with toys, they normally just stare at it. uninterested.

so, how can i keep her away???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Re: christmas trees and cats

eeks, its a hard one. Im also worried about this. Its Arthurs first christmas and we are taking him with us to my in-laws. :S He is going to go mad when he sees the tree.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Premier Cat

Our first Christmas with cats we didn't decorate the tree with ornaments. Instead, we cut up the last year's pretty card fronts and used ribbon to hang them on the tree. Only ONE got chewed so the next year we did ornaments and the year after that it was ornaments and lights. We have different kitties now, some who have never seen a Christmas tree. If they bother it (fake) I will spray it with Bitter Apple.
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u

There is no way we can have a tree ... unless we get Electronic Fence Collars for all the cats and put another transmitter under the tree and we don't want to do that (too much money too). We already have one collar and one transmitter for Scooter, he has decided he likes the lizards just a bit too much.

We will just go the other family member homes for Christmas.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Cat Addict

When we put up a big tree, we always fenced it off with an X-pen. Now that we do a smaller tree, we assemble it inside an upturned dog crate, completely enclosing it while it is still visible. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

We just set up our 6' fake tree about a half hour ago. I got a few pics of Floof and Shasta investigating it. Floof was gnawing on it. I went and got the red flavor of throat soothing spray (chloraseptic) out of the cupboard and sprayed that on the lower branches. That should deter them from chewing on it. I do not think the green chloraseptic (mint) would work, I think that would attract them.

I have to go p/up some ornament hangers or paperclips tomorrow. Our new ornaments did NOT come with hooks to hang them.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

i suppose we could try bitter apple... but then her paws wont hate bitter apple. only if she tries to chew at it, which isnt the case usually.

our tree is normally downstairs, and the cats are normally upstairs. but this year we decided to put the tree upstairs. hense teh new cat issues. lol
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

make sure you have shatterproof ortaments. Izzy doesnt bug our tree but Munchkin does but I just keep squirting her with water
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstx
make sure you have shatterproof ortaments.
Yup. Ours look like they are shatter-able, but they are plastic and painted with high-gloss colors.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

They have really pretty ones now that wont shatter!!! Mine are like yours Hiedi- They look like the glass but are plastic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page