Cats Are Definitely Therapeutic! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Cats Are Definitely Therapeutic!

Hi Everybody,
I have been truant from the Forum for some time now. Several months ago I was diagnosed with recurrent cancer in the form of a very rare bone tumor. Since then I've been receiving chemotherapy and another IV infusion to repair damage to my spine. This disease was first diagnosed 11 years ago this month--what a Christmas gift!

I receive all of my cancer treatment at our state's largest teaching hospital--fortunately, they have an excellent cancer center there. When I was undergoing radiation 11 years ago, a group brought therapy animals to the clinic several times each week to visit us patients. Unfortunately (for me, anyway!), all of their animals were dogs--and I'm just not a dog lover at all. This time the group includes several cats! Obviously, I'm not thrilled to be sick again, but it's wonderful to be able to hold a cat during my chemo sessions! Cats are definitely powerful medicine--my chemo nurse says that my blood pressure drops after even a small dose of purring has been administered. My feline therapist stretches out with me in the chemo chair, sharing my blanket--we both appreciate the hospital blanket warmer! Sometime we doze, sometimes we "talk," but we always enjoy each other's company. My usual "neighbor" in the next chemo chair was pretty standoffish during my first couple of treatments, ignoring polite greetings and snarling at the nurses. However, after a little feline therapy she's almost downright friendly--we've bonded through cats.

I'm so fortunate to have excellent doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals tending to me--as far as I'm concerned, my "treatment team" definitely includes the wonderful therapy cats! They're proving to be good for the body AND soul! My own beloved cats are absolutely precious to me--but they're just not cut out, personality/temperament-wise, to hold that job!

Happy Holidays and warmest purrs from our family to yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

Re: Cats Are Definitely Therapeutic!

It's really neat you post this, not only because you're being helped, but because we were talking about whether cats could be therapy animals just recently. I can't find the thread right now, but you've answered the question for us.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome back. I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this, but it sounds like you have had some wonderful support. What a positive opportunity to have feline therapy! Cats give such an unconditional love, I can see how this has been helpful to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Premier Cat

What challenges you are facing! Best of luck to you. I am glad the kitties are giving you joy. I know I enjoy my own at home all the time. I wish I could have visited with them when I was in the hospital after having surgery. I missed them.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Premier Cat

Ahh, there is nothing in the world to compare with a good cat scan, and a dose of purring.
It's so wonderful the way kitties seem to know just where the therapy is needed most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page