Candles with a kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Candles with a kitten?

Do you guys think I'll need to get rid of my large yankee candles when I bring my new kitten home? I know to never leave a cat alone with a candle but can you burn them if you are in the room? Or are they just an accident waiting to happen?

In a few weeks, I'll be a first time cat servant and trying to get prepared/kitty proof my apartment in advance.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Candles with a kitten?

I'd say leave the candles unlit till you see how your kitten explores them. Then, after a couple days, light it and see how the kitten reacts, making sure he or she stays safe. But never, ever leave your kitten alone with a lit candle.

Of course, the fee for this advice is for you to post pictures of your new furry family member.

j/k, thar ain't any fee.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Premier Cat

How exciting!
It's great you're thinking about this stuff now. I wouldn't have candles around any age cat. I either have them out of reach or covered. Curious kitties have a way of burning their noses, whiskers and tails. And, God forbid, they knock it over onto something flammable. Best to be on the safe side.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

We bought a huge glass 'jar' to place our candles in. The cat's can't knock it over or get their noses, whiskers and tails anywhere near the flame.
We still don't leave the candles unattended even with that large jar safety precaution.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

How exciting that your kitty is soon to be home. We put our candles on the fireplace mantel because that is the one place that they can not get to. I wouldn't trust to have the candles where the kitties might be able to get to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Cat Addict

I ended up at the ER one night with my angel kitty Tyler when his brother knocked a candle off the table and spilled the melted wax all over him. He had pretty serious burns, plus ulcers on his tongue from licking the wax. I wouldn't risk it. There were two people in the room when this happened.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page