Something that I have observed.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Something that I have observed....

Dogs make better companions then cats....that is what I have always heard. Every time I said I liked cats or wanted one, I was always told, get a dog, they make a better companion...

Well guess what, FIVE of my six cats are all close to me. They are not as independent as people have told me. All six knows their name. Five of them will come when called, Chloe will if I'm alone and laying down.
My cats all seek attention at some point in time. They love to play with their toy that I have, I play with them.

In all honesty...for me, my cats make a better companion then the dogs.
I love my dogs, dont get me wrong, but I am a cat person for sure, and if it came down to having to rehome the dogs or the cats, I'd be crying, but the dogs would go, the cats would stay.

I love how I can leave my cats all day and go somewhere and not have to worry about taking them out to potty or giving them a daily walk ect ect. They are just fine being alone for the day but when I am gone for the night Panther goes stir crazy with out me. That there, shows how attached my CAT is to me vs. the dogs. Panther sleeps on my bed with me every night. Usually snuggled right up next to me. So when I'm not there for a night or two like when I'm on vacation or stay at a friends house, the next day when I come home she's right there in my face demanding attention.

I dont know the purpose of this thread, this is just something I have observed...My kitties make better companions for me then my dogs. Especially my first kitty. (RIP Princess.)

Well this is what I come up with at 12:22AM when I can not sleep. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

Re: Something that I have observed....

I agree with all the above; that's what I've observed, too, and I don't think we're alone.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Cat

Amy - Ditto! I was raised with German Shepherds, and have had only cats in the 20 years I've been married. I love both, but at the moment I'd take a cat over a dog any day. And yes, my cats go crazy when we're not home, they love us and want to be with us and sleep and play with us, just like a dog. None of my cats is the stereotype of "independent" that you hear non-cat people talk about. In fact, I swear one of my cats truly believes he IS a dog LOL!

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Premier Cat

No offense to dog owners here, but I think most cats are more intelligent than dogs. At least they consider themselves smarter.

For example, when the cur next door was barking its empty head off, I looked at Arianwen and commented,"Stupid, noisy dog!". Her answer is kind of hard to describe, but she said something like,"You see, you know.". You may interpret that as you like.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Premier Cat

I have had dogs all of my life, and have 2 now. I love dogs, but I don't think that I would ever get another dog. My kitties are much more intelligent, more interactive, and less needy than the dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

My Yorkshire Terrier, Jasmine, passed away a couple of months ago after spending 11 years with me. I was positive for 9 of those years that I was a dog person. I loved her and cried terribly when she passed away, but I have absolutely no intention of ever getting another dog.

I totally agree with Leazie - dogs are very needy, while cats..., well, cats share their lives with us. I love that.

- - - - - - - - - -

While I was typing this, I glanced out my window and had to laugh. The next door neighbor is slogging through knee deep snow so his two dogs can go potty; I soooooo don't miss doing that!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

I wouldn't say ALL dogs are less intelligent than all cats. There are more exceptions to really say either way.
(and no, I'm not being a devil's advocate ).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Cat

my thoughts on this dogs are like young kids cats are like teenagers i find i like dogs better.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Cat Addict

I couldn't be without my dog or my cats. I love them both equally.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Premier Cat

I've never had a dog, so I can't really compare . . . but I'm sure glad I started with cats. You're right, they're much more attached and less independent than what I had been led to believe. I'm also much more invested in them than I thought I would be!

It might be kind of a tradeoff -- you can't train a cat like you can a dog, but then again, you don't have to walk them.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page