Thinking of adopting two from our shelter! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of adopting two from our shelter!

Hello everyone! I live in northeastern PA with my BF and our dog, Lucy. Lucy is a seven year old Boston Terrier who I adopted two years ago, after my first BT passed away. Lucy has been blind from cataracts since a year old. She also has luxating patellas in both back knees but is other wise healthy and extremely friendly. She LOVES people and other animals. She truly believes every person, dog, cat, bird, or anything else, must want to be her best friend!

I have decided that I would really like to adopt a cat. I have always been in a house with cats and miss them terribly but my BF has never had any animals, and was raised in a "cats are worthless animals" type of family. Lucy is the first animal he has ever lived with and is completely in love with her. She has become his baby and he spoils her even more than I do! I have been talking to him about cats and introducing him to different cats to get him over his mindset about cats being nusiance animals. He is quickly seeing that they are loving, affectionate and fun but still has some concerns.

We hoped to find a cat to adopt that was already declawed. Lucy had a severe injury last year to her eye (she could have actually lost the eye) when she got too close to an aggressive cat that took a swat at her face. Of course, she can't see it coming and is very vulnerable to scratches. After a few weeks of searching Petfinder, I decided to check our local shelter in person to see if any cats were available but not posted online. No declawed cats but, of course, I found two very sweet cats, both about a year old, that I fell in love with and want to bring home. They did not come in to the shelter together but have very similar personailities. I was able to observe them in a playroom with other cats, see their reaction to dogs at the room's window and spend some time with them myself. Overall, they are very laid back, didn't seem to be phased by strange surroundings, smells, sounds, strange cats or the dogs at the window. Neither showed fear, nervousness or aggression and were not clingy or in need of 24/7 attention so I doubt I would have to worry about any jealousy between the animals.

My BF is a little concerned about the fact that neither is declawed and is afraid of Lucy getting hurt again. We've talked about using the nail caps that I've seen advertised that will slide over their nails but I have never tried them before or known anyone that's used them.

I have also never introduced an adult cat to a dog. Given the fact that they are so laid back and still young, I am hopeful that they will adjust well and be happy with each other, us and our dog. Am I being a little too hopeful or am I taking too great of a chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Thinking of adopting two from our shelter!

Wow. I'm not sure, that could go either way...

Lucy cannot see anyways, and if she did injure an eye and needed it removed, it isn't diminishing the dog at all, only removing a possible injury/problematic site.

In the end, it seems even an inadvertent, playful or even just an I'm-fed-up-and-irritated swat could injure your Lucy. I think, you will have to decide if the risks of injury to Lucy (which could very well be minimal) are worth it. Certainly it would be worth it to the cats whose lives you would be bettering, and I bet Lucy would love them, too.
What would the shelter say about an in-home trial period to see how the cats would interact with Lucy under strict supervision?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Premier Cat

I would ask around to rescues that foster in their homes also. I would get a cat or kittens that has been exposed to living with a dog. Im wondering outloud ~~ if putting soft paws on a cat might lessen the chance of injury to the sweet boston terrier? There is the perfect cat or cats out there just take time to search them out!

Several of our foster parents have big dogs and little dogs that foster our kittens. Thats what made me think of approaching it that way to see if you locate the right cats for your house hold. People who foster in their homes are more aware of personality traits and can lead you to the right choice.

I would ask also if you could foster with the propose of adopting also. We do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Well, we did not adopt the two from the shelter. Jason was still nervous about bringing home a cat that wasn't declawed and risking Lucy.

Here's Zoey!!

"Hello my name is Zoey. I was brought into the Emergency Vet Hospital In Mt Pocono because a nice person found me in the road. I was hit by a car and was suffering. The nice people at the hospital tried to save my front leg , but wasn't able to. I was given all my shots and later declawed as I kept getting my claws caught on things, while learning to walk again. I am a sweet, healthy cat and only 1yr old! I'll talk to you, and roll on my back for a belly rub. I am the sweetest cat in the world and get along with other cats, dogs and children. I can run and jump and play just like any other cat. I am all black with beautiful green eyes. Please give me a good home for xmas!"

I knew she was the one. She's had such a rough life, and never had a home of her own. She lived in the vet's office for two months after she was brought in as a baby. She's been in foster care with different vet techs for the last seven months. She curled up in the carrier, pressed up against me in the truck and made herself right at home as soon as we got in the door! She hasn't stopped purring since I let her out of the carrier. She's not too interested in any toys except for the long feathery teaser on a stick. But, she LOVES pounce! She bolts across the room every time I shake the can! She seems totally comfortable and craves attention from both of us. She knew she was in her real home as soon as we got her here! She has found her forever home and a family that she belongs to.

http://www.catster.com/cats/936026
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoey 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1069  

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

Zoey is perfect! How wonderful that you have been able to open your home to her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Cool Cat

What a great story! Is she polydactyl? Extra toes on her front foot? From the angle of the picture it looks like she does. I just recently rescued a black cat that was. How is she getting along with the dog? What a happy ending!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

She's beautiful! And she sounds perfect for your home.
h

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Premier Cat

I got tears in my eyes when I read her write up. Perfect ending in a perfect home. Im so grateful you found her. Hope to hear lots about her and how they do together. congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page