bringing an outdoor cat inside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

bringing an outdoor cat inside

there's a cat in our neighborhood that's been deserted & has decided that he likes me - alot. he's been an outdoor kitty since I've known him (about 2-3 yrs). I have 2 indoor kitties. how difficult will it be for the outdoor cat to adjust to 2 existing cats and being indoors only? (between traffic & the wild animals - outdoor animals have a short life-span around here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Premier Cat

Re: bringing an outdoor cat inside

I TNR a tabby cat who was in my sister neighborhood. When he was recovering in a kennel my cat would go lay by the kennel and keep him company. When I released him he would come back to eat and would lay outside the screened in porch with the inside cats laying by him on the other side of the screen. My sister started letting him in and out of her house. He was of the temperment to do well with her cats and all the fosters Ive foisted off on my sister to care for!

I guess I would advise you to start by making sure this cat is S/N with shots and work him in from there if he chooses to live inside with you. Little by little, in and out. Till he will become an inside cats. Some cats choose not to want to live inside. But they will let you know. do you have a room he could come into and get used to indoor living? We were lucky cuz my sister art studio faces her backyard where our faux feral would show up to eat and interact with us. He would go in and out from there.

Hopefully Heidi will post tips for you on this. She has done this a lot with success integrating ferals into her home.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

unfortunately, there's no middle ground on the indoor/outdoor thing. my existing cats are strictly indoors & the new one would have to be as well. seriously, there are so many wild animals (coyotes, owls, mountain lions, etc), they will become part of a food chain if allowed outside. this guy has just been lucky so far. no doubt there will be some hissy fits initially being that they are all adult male cats......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Premier Cat

My housecats are fed by the backdoor and I was feeding my ferals on my back patio at the same time. What I would do, after everyone ate, was open the door a crack and hold my hand in it, keeping both the door closed and open enough for nose sniffs and footsies. As soon as there was no aggressive claw swiping and/or growling, I would hold the door open far enough for nose sniffs and eyeball-to-eyeball visual contact. Eventually, if the outside cat wanted to come in, I'd let them. In Pretty's case, she would come in, get mobbed with love from most of the inside cats and then want to go right back out, because she was nervous of being contained so close to people. Over time, her inside visits became longer/longer until eventually she was spending nights inside and using the litterbox.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Premier Cat

Make sure you have him S/N, shots and FELV/FIV checked before you try to bring him in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Premier Cat

Merry brings up a very good point. All of my ferals are TNRd (Trap/Neuter/Release) and vaccinated, in addition to begining the taming process, before I do the door intro with my housecats...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page