Male or a female cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Male or a female cat?

So, I finally convinced my mom to get me a cat, so now I need to decide, male or female?! I will probably take a blue russian cat, so can you tell me is it better to get a male or a female cat? I live in a 90 m2 flat, and I have a 7 year old brother, so those are the conditions...
Also, please tell me why do you think it is better to take one than the other.
p.s. please don't tell me to take both male and female, because I just can't do that. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Re: Male or a female cat?

In my experience with cats the personalities are not necessarily defined by their sex. There are also breed tendencies - even if they are a Heinz 57 kitty.

To say that all female cats are fickle is not accurate as some are as floppy and lovey as they come.

Not all males are laid back as well, some are neurotic and you have to peel them from the ceiling.

Regardless of the sex, choosing a kitty should not be an impulse buy. Visit your local shelters and spend time with the cats there. If you have your eye on one, visit it as much as you can. It is so hard to tell personalities when the kitties are scared and in cages or enclosures with other cats. Check for clear eyes (no eye goop,) no snotty nose and no sneezing. These are common signs of an upper respiratory infection which spreads like wildfire through cats in close quarters. If you want to purchase a kitten that is purebred please do research on breeders. Not all are reputable and there are a lot of Back Yard Breeders out there that may not necessarily practice responsible breeding.

Whether male or female, make sure you alter them, and give them time to acclimate. Also make sure prior to purchasing that you have spoken with your veterinarian and have an appointment set up for the day of the purchase/rescue. It doesn't sound like you have a quiet house (who does?) so prepare for your new furry charge to hide for a few days. Every kitty has the potential to be a loving ball of purring fuzz if you treat them properly and provide appropriate care.

This information is just from my experience over the years working with rescues and owning them . . . and now owning a pure breed that came to me ill from a back yard breeder.

Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

In my experience, males are more mellow, but as the poster before me stated, this is not always the case. However, it is more costly to get a female spayed than it is to get a male neutered where I live. The cheaper price, to me, is a perk. I think you should just go with your instinct though! Oh, and post pictures when you get them of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Cat Addict

generally speaking, I like a male cat because they tend to be more laid back and easy going, which would be a bonus in a house with an active 7 year old kid. But thats not always the case. Your best bet is going to be meeting the cats on and deciding on a case by case basis, which one do you like, which one likes you, etc. Look at the cats as individuals. You should pick your cat like you pick your friends.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I've got four girls, never wanted a boy (except Wicket!!) because of spraying fears, largely unfounded I'm sure, but it's a big issue when it rears its ugly head.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

I got a male, thinking they were more laid back too. I got my male and he was very viscous!

I got a female, also thinking I wouldn't have spray issues. She sprayed!

That's why I don't think gender matters, lol, but I could have just been "lucky" enough to have those two isolated differences.

Good luck with whatever you choose...even though it'd be easier if you just got one of each...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

About 35 years ago, I had an intact male kitty who only sprayed outside. He was a very large Main Coon mix named Rusty, who was, literally, a gentle giant. I have also had female kitties who were very gentle and laid back.

And Arianwen is such a love. She's one in a million. Very gentle when playing, super smart, and she is very loving, but not to the point of being "clingy".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 AM

i have a male and female cat. I have to say my female is more friendly and cuddlier. my boy will have his days but the female is more of a love bug. I think it's depends on personality. I used to think male cats were more outgoing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Tom Cat

Why donít you try to adopt an adult cat. Youíll have a much better idea of its personality. Then you can a choose by personality rather then gender.

Check online to see if there is a rescue organization that specialized in the breed you are interested in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page