Should we get one more??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Should we get one more???

We've been asked to take in another cat by a good friend of mine who rescued him, but can't keep him because of her three boxers and the fact that they want the cat for dinner, not as a playmate. My husband says absolutely not, but I just can't get him out of my mind. My friend has taken him to the vet, he's had all shots and has been neutered. He's about 7 months old, coco-brown with black tabby stripes and a white patch on his chest. He's a total love-bug.

Here's my dilemma... We had Fuzzy (Silver) for six years as a single cat before we got Monkey, then three months later we got Jet. Monkey and Jet are best buddies, would be totally lost without each other. Fuzzy hates both of them. It took well over a year until all three could be in a room together without hissing and extreme tension. Now that we've had the two boys for three years, they've worked out a sort of truce with Fuzzy, still hate each other, but there is enough space here that they can each have their own territory and not have to be near each other very much.

If we were to bring in one more cat and mess up the truce they've spent three years building, I just don't know how that would work. I'm sure our two young boys would accept another cat without any problems, they're so friendly and outgoing they would love to have another playmate. I just don't know what it would do to Fuzzy. She's 9-1/2 years old, dealing with a chronically sore paw and now lower back arthritis, so she's stiff and sore and likes to be left alone. But at the same time, I just can't stand the though of the rescued cat not having a good home when we could provide a forever home for him.

I feel really torn between keeping the peace that it's taken us so long to get here and on the other hand giving a home to a cat who really deserves to have a forever family but might upset the balance we have going. I've talked to everyone i know who might be interested or know someone who might willing to take this cat in.

Of course, the hardest part would be to talk my DH into it, he's not at all happy about the idea.

Help!!!! What would you do? I feel ripped apart and can't get it off my mind.

Thanks,
Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Should we get one more???

Me? I would speak with my husband and let him know how deeply it was affecting me and that I felt the driving desire to help this kitty. My husband understands this compulsion of mine and would probably give me the go-ahead. Oh, he crabs and moans about the cats, but it is HE who has brought home over half of all of the cats we've ever had.

How about if you tell your husband you cannot get this cat out of your mind and that if you took him, you would have the time to be able to find him a great home if he didn't work out with your own cat-household?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't mess with the truce your kids have right now. I fall in love with so many kitties, especially volunteering at PetSmart. I want to bring home Mr. Peanut sooooo badly, but it would mess up everything. And I don't want to start over trying to get everyone to get along. I just won't take that chance. But I know how you feel, I go on line and look at his picture and feel so sad that he's still there. I was so hoping he'd be gone when I went in on Sunday.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I think your loyalty needs to lie with Fuzzy. She's getting older and already has some significant health issues. If it took her a year to adjust to the boys when she was healthy, how long will it take when she doesn't feel well? I don't think it would be in her best interests to bring another cat into your home.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I agree with Heidi. If it's come down to either your house or the shelter, then at least keep him somewhere nice rather than an icky cage until you can find a better home for him.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Premier Cat

Er. I think I should mention that I do have a way of keeping my kitties seperate from a new one, as long as the seperation is only one cat or group at a time. Also, my cats are very used to being kept in large numbers and one or two extra here/there does not upset them much, as long as there are no outright hate-fights, they manage very well together.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. These are the kinds of things that have been floating around in my mind for the past week. We have enough bedrooms that we could keep the new kitty in one room for a while and see how the other cats adjust to it. I just know that if I brought him home on a trial basis, I'd never be able to give him up again - which is good for him, but bad for Fuzzy if it stresses her out more.

There have been several other kitties over the years that I've especially wanted to bring home, but this one just keeps wiggling around in the back of my mind for some reason. I've talked to or emailed everyone I can possibly think of who might be interested, or might know someone else who would be able to take him in, with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page