new older cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

new older cat

we've had very unfortunate news regarding our next door neighbour. he had a cat who is about 6 years old so rather older than our current kitten (7months old). we've offered to look after his cat until we know what to do i.e. until either they find his family and ask them what they want to do, or we'll gladly look after his cat.

like i said we have a 7 month old kitten, who is very laid back. we've put the new (6 year old) cat in our bedroom with the heater on (as its around -3 outside), the food she is used to, water bowl, her own blankets (from her original house) and her own litter tray. is this normal? just restricting a cat to a single room? the 6 year old cat is very very shy and will hide behind the curtains, she doesn't seem interested at all in the food, or water (we're not sure how long its been since she was last fed). she won't budge from behind the curtain, she has cramped herself into the smallest space in the room. Do i just leave her alone in there to adjust or should i stay with her? she seems very very upset by the whole ordeal, the poor thing seems very depressed, she is not aggressive or anything just very soppy, i'm not sure if this is lack of food or water. any advice on getting her to eat something? and will she know to use her litter tray?

also obviously with the younger cat, her scent is all over the room, because she does spend a couple of hours in there every day, so i'm guessing the new cat is finding it all very strange is this why she is shy? is she gonna be ok do u think? our 7 month old kitten is very interested in the scent of the other cat as it was sniffing our hands very curiously after we stroked the new cat.
Is it really ok to keep the new cat confined to our room? as there is no other room in the house. and when should we start introducing them to each other?

sorry for all the questions but i really can't stand thinking that i'm making this ordeal more difficult for her, i've never been in this situation before so don't know what to do

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Re: new older cat

You're doing exactly the right thing so far. Do a couple of searches on here for cat introductions (ignore my thread about it though ), and you'll find plenty of info. I think the main thing is totake it slowly though.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Hi I don't have two cats but I did recently (a few months ago) adopt a 6 year old cat.
She had lived in a very small area with her original owner.
When we got her she confined herself to the upstairs, I put her litter in the upstairs hallway, food and water and she basically stayed under the beds for a few days it wasn't until the evening when she would venture out and want to be with us.
After a few days she would start coming downstairs but still spent the majority of her time upstairs..

Does she spend nightime with you? I'm assuming since she is in your bedroom that at night she has you in there with her..
I'm sure she will come around like mine has, my cat doesn't leave my side now she is like glue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Premier Cat

How very kind that you have taken this poor kitty in. I am assuming her owner is ill, in the hospital and not coming home or has passed away? *sigh*

You are doing everything right for this kitty. You've given her a small, contained area to call 'her own' and the necessities of food/water/litter. She will be nervous for a few days because everything is strange, and she may be reacting to the loss of her person/home. It may take a few days, but I am sure she will eat/drink and use the litter box. Eventually she will explore the room.
When she begins exploring the room, you could start going in there to visit with her and encourage her to come out. Either to pet her, play with her (using toys you control but she can still keep a comfortable distance for her away from you) or offering her tasty/tempting food treats.
After she begins to be comfortable with you, you could see if she wants to come out of the room to explore and see the kitten. I would not let the kitten into the room, just because that is the older cat's 'safe place' right now, and you don't want to violate that. Something I do to help curious cats get acquainted is to open the door, but hold my hand in the jamb, allowing footsie and nose sniffs. When there is no hissing/growling, then I open the door a bit for a whole head to peer around and if that goes well, then I consider opening the door all the way for free access.

Welcome,
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page