How Long Indoors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

How Long Indoors?

I've recently had to put my last cat to sleep. I'm considering getting another cat (or two).
I know that you should keep (new) cats indoors when rehousing them to get them used to their new environment. And when let outdoors for the first time, cats should be closely watched in case they panic and try to run off.

I believe the duration of keeping cats indoors can vary from a couple of weeks to many months(!) depending on how cats are settling in. How can you tell when cats are ready to be let outdoors (if at all)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Cool Cat

Re: How Long Indoors?

I'm not one who lets my cats outside ever but I'd say wait until they are bonded with you and then start taking them out for short supervised sessions in the yard. If it's a kitten then it's a different story, I don't know when you let kittens out.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the comments!

I'm looking at getting adult cat(s), not kitten(s).

Waiting until cat has bonded may take years (I think?) before attempting an outdoors excursion(?)

For my previous cat, it literally took about 4 or 5 years before she would let me pet her, handle her, and carry her without being hissed at, scratched or bitten (she was a semi-wild cat with one previous owner).

So, how do you know at what stage a cat has bonded (sufficiently) before entrusting them to go outdoors?

Actually, it is my preference that cat remain indoors for most of the time (or at the very least be indoors at night time; my previous cat was indoors for 99% of the time) anyway. But if the cat should venture outdoors, then it would be highly preferable that they don't run away but remain at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Banned

Hi ... and welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you keep your new kitties indoors for about 4-6 weeks so they get used to their new home before letting them outside.

Sorry about your recent loss
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

Seconded. We kept Peggy in for 3 and 1/2 weeks because she was itching to go out. When we DID let her go out, she was a bit scared bless her

It's always hard when we lose our friends, but great when we get new ones!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Definitely keep the cats in for a few weeks. Then you can start taking them out into the yard. My family and I also did "door training" with all of our cats. It consisted of one person taking them outside via our sliding glass back door, then putting the kitty just outside the door. The other person would open the door, and call kitty inside. Once inside, she got a treat.

This was, kitty at least knows the door. We never taught the other two doors... but they figured it out on their own. All but Nito. He doesn't go outside alone anyways.

I think you will be able to tell when kitty is able to go out alone. She'll be comfortable in the house, and know that her food source is there. But only let her out alone if you are positive that your yard is very safe! We have no coons, foxes, or dogs that run loose in our neighborhood. Nor do we have any prey birds larger than kestrals. Otherwise, they wouldn't be out there alone, no-sir-ee.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brispuss
So, how do you know at what stage a cat has bonded (sufficiently) before entrusting them to go outdoors?
For me, I think that would depend entirely upon when the cat would reliably come to me when I called it. I like the door-training idea, too. Very similar concept.

What I had always done in the past, was go outside with the cat for very short durations, slowly letting them explore a bit more each time. We live too close to a 55mph road and I only wanted each cat to become accustomed to what the outside of our house was like, just-in-case they ever got out accidentally.
heidi

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Many thanks for everyone's comments! They have been quite helpful!

I'm still hesitant to get another cat (or two) just at the moment, as I'm still grieving over the loss of my cat (pts less than a week ago), and I'm also conscious of my limited financial means at this time. However, my financial situation is not too limiting, so that I should be able to look after a couple of cats for at least a couple of years or so, provided no major expenses arise.

Currently, I am looking at some cats for adoption from private owners as well as cats from shelters etc. We'll see what happens.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brispuss
However, my financial situation is not too limiting, so that I should be able to look after a couple of cats for at least a couple of years or so, provided no major expenses arise.
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Cats can live more than 20 years. Am I missing something?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would not recommend adopting a cat (or two) based on the assumption that no major expenses will arise. Kobi was a 12 week old kitten when I brought him home, I spend over $500 on him in the first 3 months due to medical issues. Cats have accidents, eat things they shouldn't. Having the means to get hold of $1000 or so is a necessity IMO.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page