8mth old kitten vs 3mth old...just a few quick questions... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

8mth old kitten vs 3mth old...just a few quick questions...

Hello:

We (girlfriend and I) are looking to purchase a kitten. The breeder has a 8 month old kitten and 3 month old. They both look very playful and outgoing (several pics sent to us).

Question being will a 8 month kitten bond as strongly to a family as a 3 month old kitten? I'm just worried the 8 month old will have a more aloof personality to a new owner, versus a younger kitten who is more dependant.

Many of you have more experience with kitties that I do, so interested in your thoughts....

Thanks,

PJ

p.s. The 8 month was going to be used a breeder, but the breeder has decided to focus on a different look, hence he's up for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

Re: 8mth old kitten vs 3mth old...just a few quick questions...

I would go and meet both of the kitties and see which one fits with you the best. You can't go just by age.

Don't forget you could always go to your local shelter, or look on petfinder.com to find a new friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Leazie is right, you need to meet them both. Maybe you'll want both if they've bonded and are buddies. They would certainly keep each other company and burn off that kitten energy playing with each other.

If I could only take one, my first instinct would be the 8 month old. A little calmer, a little less kitten-crazy.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Cat Addict

We got Gracie at 15 weeks, which is almost four months old, and I was initially a little worried for the same reason. She seemed kind of grownup compared to the 12-week old we had envisioned getting. However, things worked out just fine - she bonded with all of us, and she had plenty of kitten spunk in her, even though she never swung from the curtains or did anything too kooky. Now, a year and a few months later, you'd never know the difference. So, I agree, go meet both of them and see what you think in person...

Fran
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Premier Cat

Are you able to physically go visit these kittens? See the conditions they are being raised in to make sure this isnt a backyard breeder and healthy situation. Are thier kittens being raised with the mother nuturing them which would be ideal. Is the breeder willing to give you a clean bill of health from their vet and the kitties had all shots and S/N?

My sisters cornish rex was kept in a cage for 4 years and didnt know how to be a cat until legally the woman had to shut down the operation because of complaints to the county. Not every breeder is a good breeder. If they are they are more than willing to let you see their set up and be forthright.

Also check Petfinder.com its breed specific and there are kittens there needing a good home too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses. I spoke with the breeder and I'm going to see them both this weekend

It will give me the opportunity to see which one we bond with better.

I'm actually leaning towards tht 8mth. We have a 5 year old cat and I think it may be a better fit...

PJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page