Here I go again - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Here I go again

So another stray has found us. My Dad works at a golf course in the Bronx and it is also a public park and pretty much a dumping ground for no longer wanted pets. He feeds a bunch of them and tries to trap and release again. I guess it is better than nothing. He recently found two little bunny rabbits jumping around-clearly they were pet bunnies. He found them homes. Anyway back to my point-He found a little black and white kitty with a flea collar on probably about 6 months old and of course he made friends. I of course told him I would try to take her in. I was so upset over the grey kitty who I had to put down. Right now she is living in his garage at work sleeping on the feed bags.

She is going to come with me this weekend and I am going to see how it works. My worries are again two fold. One for my Picasso my current Prince of a kitty and if this new kitty is going to be sick.
I am worried Picasso will be jealous or get depressed. I tried contacting 3 local shelters and they were of absolutely no help. Pretty much wished me luck. Grrrrrrrrr.

Has anyone placed a new kitty with an older kitty and how did it work out?

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Here I go again

Good luck!
I have found that it is usually much easier to introduce a kitten to an adult cat than try try to introduce all adult cats. Kittens (like children) seem to have a built-in protection in their small-ness and cute-ness. They also tend to want to play and will keep pushing the play-boundaries of the adult cat, even though the adult cat expresses displeasure. IME, most of these adult cats get worn down by the natural exhuberance of the kitten and accept them, grooming, disciplining and playing with them.

Keep them seperated by at least one door until kitten has passed the 'vet inspection' for contagious diseases. Then I like to 'swap scents' by rubbing each cat with a small dry towel and going back/forth between the two cats so each will get the other's scent rubbed into their fur. When they are showing curiosity about the cat on the other side of the door, I will open the door, but also keep my hand on the door, closing to the jamb but allowing a gap for nose-sniffs and footsie. When there is no more hissing, I will open the door a little further to allow eyeball to eyeball contact and closer nose-sniffing. If that goes well, then I open the door and see if they want to investigate each other or the rooms where the other cat has been.
*I do this over several days and up to 2 weeks, depending on how well it is progressing.

Good luck!
Heidi

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Here I go again

I have had experiences that are quite similar to what Heidi described. We have added a new cat to the family in a pretty regular pattern- when one cat turns 3 or 4, we've ended up getting another kitten. Each kitten wore down his "big brother" as we called it, until he would play. Rusty won over Elfie, Fella won over Rusty, and then Nito did his job of forcing his playing on a grumpy, but obliging Fella.

Another thing that I have found to help, is after the confinement stage, if the adult is still showing signs of dislike for the kitten, bring out some toys and play with the kitten within sight of the adult. I have notice that this often brings out "jealousy" or maybe just "inspiration" and I'll walk over to the adult and find that they are suddenly crazy about whatever toy they just saw kitten playing with. Playing in each other's company, even if it isn't with each other, seems to help enforce a truce between the cats. More often than not, they have become friends.

Of course, every cat is different, so do what feels right, and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page