Is it fair to take your cat from its home for a weekend? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Is it fair to take your cat from its home for a weekend?

My boyfriend has recently been taken into hospital and i am now faced with looking after him at his house for the rest of the week. Trouble is i have a cat at my own flat which is around 15 miles away and i feel guilty about leaving her alone for so long. I was planning on doing the 30 mile round trup every day to feed her but my boyfriend has suggested i bring her to stay at his house for a few days.

Is this better than being left alone or will the change of home upset her? I am planning on moving in with him soon so in a month or so this will be her new home.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: Is it fair to take your cat from its home for a weekend?

She might be scared after the stressful carride, but depending on her disposition, she should adjust fairly quickly as long as you coax her with treats. Does your boyfriend have any other pets? Dog/other cat smells could really make her scared. How long did she take to adjust when you first took her home?

I travel all over with Nito. He goes to my boyfriend's house next door all the time (not a huge feat, since we live in the same townehome complex, and our homes are identically built, just decorated differently), and also home to my parent's house often. My parents have cats, who Nito recognizes and is on good terms with, even after months apart from them.

If you have a friendly, well adjusted and outgoing cat, then it should all be just fine, especially if your BF doesn't have other pets. If your cat is timid, nervous, and shy then take her for the day and see how she does. Since you were planning on driving back and forth anyways, you could always take her back home. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try though. And having a kitty around may even make your boyfriend feel better faster!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My boyfriend doesnt have any pets so she would be here with just the two of us. When she first came to live with me she settled instantly but we moved home recenty and it took around 4 weeks for her to come out from behind the couch!

She is really affectionate with my bf so im hoping that might help ease her, just dont like the htot of her stuck on her own for days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Cool Cat

Depends on the cat, really. My two cats would be right at home within 15 minutes. (Misty would find the bed and stake her claim to it, Stormy would be finding an open cabinet to explore.) Other cats might be freaked out by the new surroundings.

I guess my advice would be to use your gut about what make the cat happier, and also what YOU can cope with given that you're trying to take care of your BF at the same time. It sounds like you're not so far away that you couldn't take your cat back home if you take her to your BF's place and being in the new place upsets her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page