Closed doors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Closed doors?

This is just a general question not a problem or anything..
Taylor who we adopted in September cannot tolarate a door being closed..
She will stay in a room with me all night, but if I were to get up in the night and forget the second I close the door she will be at the door trying to get out.. I have a hairdryer stuck in the doorway so that it gives me an almost closed door but enough for her to not get anxious about the door being shut..

Is this common?
It can be any time of day or night.. she also doesnt' like to be locked out of a room and will swipe her front paw trying to reach in it's very funny bless her...
She waits for me to get out the shower, waits for me when i'm using the bathroom... if I shut the door I have to watch her foot trying to reach in and I feel bad, so she just sits at the bathtub until i'm done.... haha...

Anyway I was just wondering if it's just a Taylor thing or a normal cat thing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Closed doors?

It's completely normal. Cats do not like closed doors. When I have one of my bedroom doors shut, Cinderella will be on the other side, I open it up and she just sits there looking at me. All cute and innocent. There's an indentation on the wall near that door from me banging my head against it. Kids!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

yep our cats do that too, perfectly normal. Annoying but normal

When Munchkin is on timeout (locked in bathroom for 10 min) Izzy will sit outside the door and bug her under the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Premier Cat

It's true that all kitties don't like closed doors. Some are expressive of their dislike than others.
Arianwen doesn't mind too much if I shut a door or two, 'cause I rarely latch the inside doors. I taught her how to open doors on her own.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Tom Cat

Yep, your kitty is purrfectly normal! Duchess will lay down and put her paws under the door and try to get in. I tell her there is only one way in and out of the bath room but she don't believe it! Enjoy the mystery

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Cat

Same here... especially Jet cannot tolerate a closed door. He doesn't necessarily want to go into whatever room it is, he just hates the door closed. Makes using the bathroom interesting, especially when someone is visiting and he's there scratching at the door while they're inside LOL!

Andi
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Nito doesn't mind closed doors... unless I am behind them. He panics when I'm in the bathroom, crying and sitting outside the door. I have to talk to him the whole time that I'm using the the toilet, and when I open the door he wants to be picked up for a hug.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Premier Cat

Mine don't like closed doors either, and Patches will literally do summersaults outside, flipping around, trying to reach under, or push it open. Only when I'm behind the door though...........hubby, they could care less about. But, when it comes to the bedroom door, they are very respectful about that one, because they are not allowed to sleep with us. I'd be up all night if they were in the room. Patches will paw on it sometimes, but that's about it. In the morning when I get up, I find 3 kitties sleeping in front of the door, and I usually have to step over them to get out.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Cat Addict

...I think it is an extension of the "everything here belongs to me" mindset! I bet if cats could close and open doors themselves, we humans would be constantly dealing with it - 'hmm, this needs to be open cuz this smells like food, toys are here so this stays open, good, good - this door should be shut while I nap because I like privacy...'

Fran
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Fran- too funny I think you got it exactly right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page