Former Feral Fosters are beginning their journey pics added - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Former Feral Fosters are beginning their journey pics added

Bella and (formerly-Luna) I've been calling her "Michy" (Mischy?), short for Michigan Foot, began their journey to furrever homes today!

I took them to the director of For Paws' Sake and they had their first ever vet visit! They rode in the carrier so nicely for the 35min drive. We spent just over an hour at the vet, getting their wellness exams, blood tests (Negative! I was worried after Dusty testing positive for FeLV), first shots and de-wormed.
I was very concerned about Michy because she tends to revert back to flattened ears, dilated eyes and hissing very quickly...but the director said she did great! She said of course both were unsure of themselves and scared, but they never offered to struggle, hiss or claw/bite.
I am so proud of them I could burst!

They rode home nicely, too. When I let them out, they were tails up and friendly for petting, not dashing off to hide under the bed. I hope they get to be adopted together, they really have bonded well together. Both snuggled up to me in the big bed for a quick lie-down. I didn't get to nap with them because a friend stopped by for a visit, but I think they would have snuggled and slept with me.

Of note: I observed this morning that Michy is in season! Bella was trapped on my birthday, 11/4 and Michy was trapped that next Thursday, 11/6. At the time, I thought they were about 3mo old, which now would make them about 5.5mo old...so it is possible they could be a little older and actually be 6mo...or maybe even a touch older?

I was given their spay date, which is next Wednesday. I am to drop them off Tuesday afternoon and pick them up Thursday afternoon. I'll have them for about a week to recover and then the next week I will take them to the For Paws Sake Adoption Center and wish them well in finding their furrever family. I will be sad to give them up, but I really have plenty of cats of my own and I could not justify keeping them just because I wanted to. Shasta's CRF will be plenty for me to worry about regarding vet care and I should not add to that burden at this time.

I'll have to set up a photo-shoot and take some great shots of them to be put on the FPS website.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Former Feral Fosters are beginning their journey

You've done a wonderful job with them (as usual). I do hope they go together, too.

Looking forward to pictures. Soon.

It's funny what proud meowmies we are when they're good at the vet's, isn't it?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I know. I was so pleased they did so well with strangers handling them! It makes me feel good that they will be good when the general public handles them for their adoptions.

Here's a funny story from the waiting room at the vet's office today;

They have an office cat, a huge gray boy named Basher. He came in to lay on the floor in a sun-spot. I wanted to pet/snuggle with him, so I tried to entice him over to me. I held my hand out to him, gave him blinkies, and kissed noises at him. He looked interested, but seemed too comfortable to get up. I then started 'cat talking' to him, making little prrrrupp, merrrs, merts and small meah's to him and he sat up and looked at me with wide eyes, gave a big MEOWER! and ran and jumped into the chair next to me! I began to pet him and he purred and walked all over my lap, back/forth, so I could pet all sides.

The receptionist asked in an alarmed voice: "What other cat is in here?!"
I replied: "Only this gray cat, the tech told me his name is Basher."
She asked: "What other cat was meowing at him? Did one get out? Where is it?"
You should have seen the look on her face when I told her it was me making those cat sounds. I don't know if she was impressed or just thought I was a nut! But hey, I fooled her! ...and Basher understood me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

You need to have closed-captioning for the cat-impaired people around you!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yeah. I tried signing, but it didn't work so well without whiskers, pointed and moveable ears and a tail.

Remember "Finding Nemo"?
In 2004 Hubby and I were sitting on a stack of roof-trusses at dusk, discussing the barn building we were about to construct. A bat flew by and I made a high-pitched kissing noise. It is the noise I used to call my outside cats, pursing my lips and pulling air in through my lips, and it does sound like a bat. Anyhow, I made my high pitched noises and the bat circled around and flew past us again and again, each time I made the noises.
Hubby looked at me and said: "Wow, I wish I could speak bat."
I'm multi-species-lingual.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Holy communications, Batgirl!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Premier Cat

Wow Heidi, you should rent yourself out as an animal communicator, as well as an excellent foster Meowmy!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well...the problem is I don't know exactly what I am saying or even if I'm very accurate in guessing what they are saying, either... I just mimic the sounds I hear them use.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What do you think of the background I set up? Bathmat and kitty-quilt. The quilt fabric has angel-kitties on it. I cannot remember what the fabric was called, it was made by Daisy Kingdom and marketed for children's clothing.

Michy:

Michy & Bella:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Michy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page