Hoping to spot a lost cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hoping to spot a lost cat

There is a sign on a post just 2 houses down my street for a lost white cat named Sasha.

Almost every time it snows in the last couple weeks I come out to kitty paw prints in the snow going along the front of my house, over the porch and then past the front of the garage. 2 nights ago I started putting a little mound of cat food out on the porch and both nights it has disappeared after it turns dark but sometime before 9:00 PM.

I hoping it is the lost cat and it will come around more often knowing it can find food here. It would be nice to return a lost cat to its family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Hoping to spot a lost cat

I hope you can get it, Richo!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

Richo, do you have access to a Havahart trap? If so, you could progressively put the food closer to the trap then inside the trap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Premier Cat

Should you contact the people so that they can come and call the kittie's name to see if it will come? Maybe they can bring a towel or something with their scent and leave it near the food bowl? I wonder if any of this would help the baby to come out of hiding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Cat

Would you happen to know anyone with a game cam? This is a camo covered cam that is typically hung from a tree in the woods to watch an area for possible deer activity.

You may also be able to get a similar effect with a computer web cam looking out the window with the right software to record it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Premier Cat

If you shine a flashlight on likely hiding spots, you'll see her eyes "glowing" in the shadows if you happen to shine your light on her.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I don't think he is staying nearby because he's only been coming around once a day.

My dad happens to have a game cam with a motion sensor and I borrowed it today, but unfortunately kitty didn't come around while I had it out. I don't want to leave the camera sit outside for a long period of time but I will continue to try to get a picture.

I'll post it here if I get one.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Premier Cat

Good luck to you!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

2 nights ago I put the camera outside by the food on the porch. An hour later the food was gone so I grabbed the camera all excited to look at the pics and the batteries had died

I got now new batteries and did the same last night. A few hours later the food was gone and I grabbed the camera only to find that the cat didn't trigger the IR sensor and no pictures were taken. After reading the manual further, it says that the camera should be 15 to 30 feet away from the target for proper IR sensing and that's not going to be easy to do with the way my porch is set up.

I guess I will have to experiment with it further. It could be that the cat approaches the food ever so slowly that it doesn't set off the motion sensor.

I think I may try putting it video mode and just letting it run. It looks like I can get 2 hours of video on the memory card and usually he comes within 2 hours of putting out the food.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Premier Cat

Arianwen's thick coat stays very cool to the touch after she's been outside for a while. She makes me think thick-coated kitties may not have a strong IR signature. Do you have a way to adjust the sensitivity on the camera, Richo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page