My cat hates my new kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

My cat hates my new kitten

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advice, I have a 16 month old female cat called Twinkle, she had a sister Star who died 8 months ago

Its taken me a while to think about getting another cat but I finally have,

I picked up 8 week old Belle yesterday and she is gourgous

The problem is that Twinkle doesnt like her, she is growling at her and swiping her with her paw, she just isn't impressed,

it was so bad last night that I had to separate them

Any Ideas?, I really want them to be best friends like Twinkle and Star were
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 AM

Re: My cat hates my new kitten

Try to put one into a cage for several days.It will be okay after they are familiar eachother.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Another idea is to put the new cat in a room separated by a baby gate. This way, the new kitty will be able to have room to walk about, eat, drink, and use the litter box, but still be protected from the current cat. With the baby gate in place, both kitties will have the chance to get used to each other without complete physical contact.

What they are doing though is normal. Twinkle is letting Belle know just who runs the show. They may appear to get rough, but unless blood is actually drawn, that really is commonplace. Lilly Anne and Poopsie went at it when I got Lilly back in Aug 2007. Poopsie thought she was Queen Bee of the house so she gave Willie and Lilly Anne some flak when they came into my house. But for the most part, it was mild. Your cats will be fine. Some just need more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Cool Cat

The vast majority of cats, when introduced to a new cat, will react exactly as your cat is reacting.
Most shelters, rescue agencies, vets, etc will recommends you follow an introduction process that includes separating the cats for a while, swapping scents and slowly increasing their contact with each other. Following a controlled introduction, rather than just throwing them together & forcing them to work it out, is more likely to get better results (and it won't make the resident cat(s) quite as upset). Introducing cats can take as little as a few days (rare), weeks, or even months for them to tolerate each other, and even longer to be friends.

Google "new cat introduction" for guidelines and tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page