Fosters are back from their spay! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Fosters are back from their spay!

I am so proud of them! Mischy had to have an E-collar because she was licking her incision site. When I got them home I had the bathroom all set up and opened their carriers, Mischy jammed her collar into the opening of the carrier and I had to help her out, then I saw she had a FOOT/ARM through the collar.
Geesh!
So I removed the collar and she and Bella enjoyed walking around me with tails in the air, NO scared-eyes, NO slinking, NO hissing! ...just meowing to be pet and loved on. I loved-them-up for about 5min and then I left to go make a soft E-collar. I used the plastic one as a pattern and whipped one out in 25min flat! It is made of cotton fabric, batting and binding. I made loops on the inside of the collar and ran guaze through the loops to tie it around Mischy's neck. So far, so good. She has been able to eat, drink and lay down comfortably.

I'll take pictures tonight when Husband returns from work, he took the camera.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Fosters are back from their spay!

Yay! What good little girls.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

That's pure genius, making them a soft collar. You could patent it and make millions!

The fosters sound like they're real troopers.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

That's great that they're doing so well, Heidi, I know you must be relieved.

Heather goes in for her spay tomorrow and I pick her up Saturday morning. I'm sad she has to go through surgery, even though I know so well that it's for the best. However, when I pick her up Saturday, she'll be officially mine, so that's a good thing. I just hope she does as well as your girls.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

They are both doing great. I think 2 days away from 'home' in a strange place has helped cement that I am the "good guy" and they are mobbing me for loves and purrs every time I go in to visit them.

There are already several good products on the market for soft and flexible E-collars. I needed one right away and was able to make one using the plastic one as a "pattern". I have already made a change. I noticed that Mischy was trying to either groom or get it off, and had shredded the gauze a bit. I didn't want her ingesting gauze strings so I found a ribbon and am now using that instead of the gauze to tie the collar on.

She and I both prefer the collar to lay over her shoulders. It doesn't obstruct her view and she can eat/drink/play with no hindrance. The width of the collar is enough to prevent her being able to get her nose/tongue past the edge so she cannot lick her spay site. It was a little inflamed when I got her home but now the skin is the same color as the surrounding area with no pink or swollen areas.

The plastic E-collar and the fabric one I made:

Folded down over her shoulders:

Pulled up in a 'hood' around her head:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

Adorable kitty and collar Heidi. I hope the incisions heal quickly!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

What fashionable little divas! Watch out, Tyra!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 AM
Premier Cat

That soft E-collar is brilliant, Heidi! You could sell them on line, using Mischy's picture, and make loads of extra money.

By the way, is Mischy polydactyl? Her "hands" look like cute little mittens...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

There is already a product called Soft.E.Collar for all sizes of cats/dogs. I'm just happy having made my own.

Mischy is a polydactyl. I shortened MichiganFoot to "Mischy". She has an extra toe on EACH foot. Her hind leg extra toes are in the same place a dog's dewclaws would be. Her extra toes on the front feet are a 'longer' toe right next-to/on-top-of a cat's natural 'thumb'.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Premier Cat

You are raising such good little girls, and Mischy looks so regal with her collar on.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page