Does Juno hate me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Does Juno hate me?

It has been a week since I brought Juno home from the shelter where I volunteer. When I worked there she would enjoy being pet and follow me around watching me. If I would sit down to pet her she would purr, although she would growl at the other cats if they got close but was never agressive with them. I had hoped that she would be a loving cuddly cat when I brought her home. Instead all she does when I pick her up is growl at me! She seems to be adjusting well to the household. She learned where the food is really fast. She is using the litter box. She will growl at the other cats if they get close to her but there are no fights - just like at the shelter. The only thing that is different is that she hates being close to me! She doesn't claw or bite, she just growls and tries to get away! This has never happened to me before. Even cats that don't like people have always come to me, so I am totally confused. She will stay close by, though, and if I reach out my hand to her she will rub her face against my hand. Do you think this will eventually change or was she happier at the shelter?

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Re: Does Juno hate me?

Give her time to be by herself. Don't go to her to give her attention - let her come to you when she wants it. And stop before she's had too much. Leave her wanting more

Does she have somewhere she can go to get away from the other cats? They will eventually adjust and form some sort of understanding to leave peacefully. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll all love each other, but it might. It might also be that they keep their distance and the best you can hope for is to just be in the same room without the growling.

But with it being only a week, I think some more time is definately in order.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for your response. Yes, she can be by herself if she wants to. I expected her to act the way she is with the other cats. Maybe some day she will get used to the other 6, it's better then the other 200+ at the shelter.
The thing that confused me the most was her complete change in attitude towards me. It's like I am a complete stranger even though I have been petting her for months. I will follow your advise, though and back off. I know there is a sweet little girl in there somewhere because I have seen that side of her.

Sue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

How long was Juno at the shelter?
Obviously she had been there long enough to establish her place in the local cat hierarchy, and knew the other kitties there. She was comfortable in her surroundings, even if her surroundings were not ideal or very nurturing.
Now, Juno is in unfamiliar surroundings, in the midst of kitties she doesn't know, and, to top it off, she doesn't know her place in the social order. There's probably been a change in her feeding schedule and diet as well. It's no wonder she feels grumpy and out of sorts.
Give her some time to settle in. I think you'll be seeing Juno's sweet side again soon. Just let her adjust on her own schedule, and don't try to force anything on her.
Juno doesn't hate you, she's just grumpy.
She looks like a sweet-natured kitteh.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Juno was at the shelter since last April, so she was probably pretty comfortable there. Even there she could be a snippy little twit to the other cats, but she was never aggressive or a fighter so I thought she would be ok with my brood. I can't wait to see the sweet girl I thought I was bringing home. Today I went and sat on a kitchen chair next to the one she was sitting on. She came over and put her paw on my chair and leaned toward me and let me touch her face, so I think things will get better. As you have said, she needs her time to adjust.

Sue

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlover13
Juno was at the shelter since last April, so she was probably pretty comfortable there. Even there she could be a snippy little twit to the other cats, but she was never aggressive or a fighter so I thought she would be ok with my brood. I can't wait to see the sweet girl I thought I was bringing home. Today I went and sat on a kitchen chair next to the one she was sitting on. She came over and put her paw on my chair and leaned toward me and let me touch her face, so I think things will get better. As you have said, she needs her time to adjust.
See!! She just said,"Friend!", in cat language.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, John. I think I just needed to hear people say things would be all right. I have never been rejected by a cat before.

Sue

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

That certainly was a loving gesture. I hope that as she gets used to her new home she will relax and be the kitty who loved to be loved. Good luck and thank you for giving her a good home.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page