Is there an easy way... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is there an easy way...

to clean the floor (carpets) of a whole room with some kind of enzyme cleaner??? I recently fostered a cat who had a horrible, horrible smell and he'd sometimes toilet around the room. He's been gone for over a month now and the room still smells. It's not as bad but it's still there. Just wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to go over the whole room & hopefully eliminate the smell?

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Kitten

Re: Is there an easy way...

You can get a black light from Petsmart, turn off the bedroom light, and check for urine spots. When you find them, soak them with Nature's Miracle or a similar product. Make sure you soak the spot good, it needs to get all the way down to the very bottom under the carpet, let it sit for for 15 or so minutes, then soak it up with a white cloth. You might have to repeat it several times.

Also, once you've done that, if you have a carpet cleaner, add a good amount of white vinegar (like a cup or so) into the normal water mixture and clean your carpets. The vinegar works great for just about anything. The vinegar will smell while the carpet is wet, but once it's dry, the smell evaporates. You can also spray a mixture of vinegar and water on the walls, it's a great refresher.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks... Would this work okay do you think??
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-Blacklight-Ess ... otohosting
It says it would but I don't wanna waste my money if not..

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I think that black light is too small, I'd say it needs to be at least a foot long. I'd go to a hardware store and get a portable fixture bulb. Those party lights probably aren't strong enough.

Nature's Miracle also makes a carpet shampoo for carpet cleaning machines. Vinegar will not remove the urine smell. It is necessary to break down the urine into it's basic elements in order to remove the smell, only an enzymatic cleaner will do that.

This thread should help you:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11535

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Kitten

The blacklight is pretty small, you'd have to really crouch down and go over the carpet inch by inch. Might look for something at least twice that size, larger preferably.

True, vinegar doesn't remove urine odor, but it does make a nice refresher over the room in the carpet cleaner after you've spot cleaned with nature's miracle.

I had a Persian as a teenager that turned into a pee-er cat as he got older. Vet had no idea what was wrong, and we tried different boxes & such. Nothing worked. For 7 years I had to clean up after him, and that's what worked best for us.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:43 AM
Cool Cat

As you find the spots, put a coin (or coins) over the area. Remove them as you clean the areas.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Cat

I recently discovered taht vanilla essence completly gets rid of urine odour , the cats can possibly still smell it , but I cant .. I mix it with a little water in a spray bottle and spray ,

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks to everyone for your tips! A friend from work lent me a blacklight and I went over my room just quickly but there seems to only be about 4-5 small patches of urine (I was expecting it to be everywhere as the room still smells strongly of the foster cat). So tomorrow night, I'll be armed with the blacklight and the enzyme cleaner & hopefully the smell go away.

Bec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page