Things that make you go :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Things that make you go :)

Velvet isn't overly affectionate. He's the type that chooses when and where the affection will be doled out. A strictly, "don't pick me up and put me in your lap. I'll come to you when I want to" sort of kitty.

Today, he's been driving me mad. Getting into places he didn't belong, knocking things down, crying over his food bowl (he can be greedy sometimes) and running around like a lunatic. NOTHING was working. I took time out to play with him. He ignored my efforts. I gave him some cat nip. He rolled in it half heartedly. Gave him his favorite toy. Took a few disinterested swipes at it. Though he did gobble up his food as usual. Typical.

So finally, after he nearly brought everything in my storage closet tumbling down (I hadn't closed it properly), I stormed over and shut the door and looked down about to say "NO" in my sternest voice and just melted. I know cats don't have emotions like we do, but he seemed...dejected. I picked him up, sat down and placed him on my lap and started petting him. I fully expected him to wriggle out of my grasp and stalk away like he usually does. Instead, he gave a big sigh, shut his eyes and fell promptly to sleep, purring like a fiend all the while. We stayed that way for about 15 minutes when I finally and reluctantly had to remove him from my lap so I could get back to studying. But I tell you, it's like magic. He seems to be in a much better mood now and is back to chasing after his favorite ball. And he's made the person he owns quite happy by "allowing" me to hold him in my lap.

Man, if I'd known a few hours earlier that he just wanted some extra affection, I would have saved so many headaches today. But this stubborn kitten seems to have too much pride to actually ask for extra head scrubbles.

Aren't cats wonderfully odd creatures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Things that make you go :)

What a great story! Sometimes cats are so hard to read. Odd creatures indeed.
I'm glad you were able to figure out what your feisty guy needed.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

Velvet knows that he has a responsibillity to maintain the reputation of all cat-kind.
A cat can't just walk up to a human and ask for affection. How undignified would that be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

That would have touched my heart too.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Cat Addict

I know exactly what you mean!

All my kittens have been locked up for the past 3 days, we're getting new cabinets in our kitchen and everything's a huge dangerous mess. The boys (and our guest kitty) are in a room upstairs, Torri is in our room, and Jitzu's been downstairs in a bathroom. (I'm afraid if I put her with the boys she'd try to eat the shy little guest) Every time I go see her she's so lovey! She's usually good with me, we cuddle a few times a week, but she's been way over her usual level!

I even heard purrs...audible ones!!! For the first time in 3 years!!! Usually when she purrs you need to either feel it in your lap, or rest your head right against her, and she usually stops as soon as i notice. Now as soon as I go in the room I can hear it! She's so glad to see me...I just about cried the first time I heard it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page