New litter tray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

New litter tray

I've been thinking about Johns suggestion of a second litter tray for Toby. I have never really thought it was necessary before .. but seeing as he is sooo particular about his litter I think I ought to put another one upstairs for him.

He has always had a covered tray .. so will stick with those I think. But what do you think of this set up? Kinda cute .. thought of putting it in the corner of my bedroom.

or this ...

The litter tray is included in the price.

Has anyone seen set ups like this before ... or similar? I don't mind the litter tray being in my room at all, but I think it would be kinda cool for Toby to get a extra bit of cat furniture out of it as well. He loves his cat furniture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Premier Cat

Re: New litter tray

I'd vote for the larger cat tree- you know how fun they can be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

I like the idea of a cat tree sort of 'hiding' the litterbox, but for myself...I would consider the effort that would need to be taken to reach the box for cleaning. The first pic, it looks like you can lift it off and set it aside, but you will also need room to remove and set the hood down, too. The second pic, because of the size of the tree, you will have to pull the litterbox out of the cubby in order to access it for cleaning.
For my situation, I wouldn't use either of them, but then I am having increasing difficulty getting up/down, bent over and have a definite lack of strength/energy for hauling heavy stuff around every day.

Curious about how people clean their boxes. I think I'll start a thread. I'd like to do a poll, but I'm not sure what the different methods are. Interesting idea to think of, though...
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM

personally, I would not combine a litter cave with a cat tree.
you don't want to encourage your cats to play inside the cave,
just do their business, and play elsewhere you can enjoy them.
also, if you have multiple cats, you may want a to make your
second litter cave a much larger one. I'm partial to Booda dome
because their round circular pan makes them easy to clean with
no corners, and your cat can move round in it easier, literally.
the higher opening discourages litter tracking, and the round top
discourages the cats from playing on top of it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49286&hilit=+booda

http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Roundabout- ... B00176BA96

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated.

Your Booda litter tray looks intriguing petspy and its a very good point about cleaning issues Heidi. I dunno ... Toby doesn't play on his cat tree, he just sits on it (he is very sedentary) and he is an only cat so don't think I need a particularly large litter tray ... just an alternative if the one downstairs isn't up to his lordships liking.

Hmmm. I shall do more research methinks ...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Premier Cat

I like the bigger of the two. That's actually really cool, I've never seen that before.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

For me, pulling it out, taking the lid off and putting it back together would be a pain in the patootie. Especially since you say he won't use it more than once without scooping. Also, the cut out in the bottom half of the box looks pretty deep. I bought a box like that once and the litter was spilling out the opening on a regular basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
For me, pulling it out, taking the lid off and putting it back together would be a pain in the patootie. Especially since you say he won't use it more than once without scooping. Also, the cut out in the bottom half of the box looks pretty deep. I bought a box like that once and the litter was spilling out the opening on a regular basis.
Hmmm .... now you have pointed it out .. yep, I see what you mean about the cut out in the bottom half of the box. That would get messy. Thanks for pointing that out! I may have to consider a different litter tray to that ...

Toby has a covered tray now and so I'm forever lifting that lid off to scoop (at least three times a day .. because he REALLY wont use it if there is something already in there!) so actually I'm not bothered about that in the least. Kinda got used to the demands of the litter tray.

I'm going to have a look see at alternative 'models' with less low cut litter trays though ...

I really appreciate all the comments and advice so far. Thanks guys
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Premier Cat

I like the second one, but I agree, the cutout is too low. You'll end up with a litter "lawn" in front of the tray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page