Cat Forum banner

Please help I need to get my cat used to dogs!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lisa 216 
#1 ·
Please help me if you can. I have recently rescused a 1 year old cat. He is neutered, microciped all vaccinations up to date. He is so friendly and loving and we have become very attached. Unforuntaly I have just experienced a relationship break up and need to move back home to my parents where there are dogs. I just need some advice on how I can get my cat used to the dogs please.

Thank you for your time.

Kat

#2 ·
I think you would do a standard introduction thing- keep your cat in a separate room for a bit until he's comfortable, then gradually introduce him to the dogs. One thing that I have found is to make sure that there are escape routes in the areas where the dogs and cats will both be- no real places for your kitty to be trapped behind a chair, for instance.

Have the dogs ever been around a cat before?

Btw, our dogs and cats get along really well, so it can happen. Several of the kitties will groom the dogs, and I often find a kitty sleeping near, or on a dog.

Good luck to you.

Sorry about your breakup.

#3 ·
Ok thank you for your advice. The dogs have never been around a cat before. I have been taking the cat around my mums to slowly introduce them to each other. The cat hisses alot at them. I guess it will just take time so they get used to each other, i just hope they do.

Kat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.