What are good brands of cat towers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

What are good brands of cat towers?

After three years of being beaten up by four hyperactive cats, our cat tower is falling apart, and we're looking for a replacement. Can anyone here recommend a good, durable brand?

Our current one is by Armarkat, a budget model that is rather flimsy. It's only been standing this long because my husband and his dad reinforced it with metal plates. I've heard similar complaints from other people here who bought the same brand.

PetSmart carries a brand called Whisker City, and they look like they're made of sturdier materials than ours, but none of them seem to sit quite flat on the floor; they rock back and forth like crazy. We have cats that will regularly go flying across the room onto the tower, so stability is important.

The Dr. Fosters & Smith catalog advertises that their towers are super durable, and some of them attach to the ceiling as well as the floor. We're considering them, but we'd be buying them sight unseen. Has anyone used that brand? What did you think?

Any other brand suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Re: What are good brands of cat towers?

My first, sturdiest and best-built cat tree is Armarkat.

I have five all together. I've gotten all of mine from Craigslist for very cheap (or free, like my first one). No brand names on the others though.

Here's a thread with everyone showing their cat trees, maybe it'll give you some good ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48678&p=493422

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

I've had my Armarkat for about two years and its been fine. I do notice it seeming to move a little when Skylar is running and climbing like crazy, but nothing near enough to actually make me think it would fall - plus its backed up into a corner so it sits against two walls.

I do think the taller trees tend to require a really big, thick, sturdy base. Maybe you could add a second piece of wood to the base that is heavier and wider than the base that it comes with?

I do admit I think compared to some trees I've seen, the Armarkat does seem a bit cheaply made, but I also think its because it has very thin fabric covering the wood and if it were carpet it would have a much thicker, thus sturdier feel.

As far as attaching to the ceiling... I think when I get a house I will try something like that. You could easily get a piece of wood the height of your ceiling, covering it with carpet or sisal and wedge it in very tightly. My goal would be to have one in each corner and about halfway between middle wall and ceiling (maybe head height?) have a shelf going the length of the wall to each post. So they could climb all the way up and everywhere in between I think it'd be a bit of a project though. I just worry that a simple floor to ceiling post would be a little too tall for them to safely get off of without risking a lot of falls from way up high.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Cat

Don't know what part of the country you're in, and how far from their "home base" these guys ship, but we got ours from Custom Cat Purrrniture in St. Paul, MN: http://www.purrrniture.com/store.html
(We got the Orbitor.) Nice, sturdy stuff - they use recycled wood cable spools as the base for their trees. And our beasties seem to like it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the recommendations! It's interesting to hear that some people have had good Armarkat experiences. Maybe it's just a matter of which model you buy -- I definitely did get a budget-priced model.

But the Purrniture site is awesome! Now I really want a Chateau de Gato, even though that model is a bit out of my price range.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Cat Addict

I bought a cat tree from this web site and it's been great. At one point one piece broke but they replaced it for us for FREE. The price for the tower was great and the shipping was free:

http://www.yugisoft.com/catfurniture.asp

I highly recommend them!

-eva-

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, those are GREAT prices!

I like this one:

http://www.yugisoft.com/5709.asp

But me putting it together? A joke!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Cat Addict

I have a Wisker City 3 that I got from Petsmart that me and the girls are happy with.

I've been looking for others but I'm careful about buying one over the net now because I saw some that looked good until I saw user photos posted on Amazon.com and could see that they were cheaply made.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Wow, those are GREAT prices!

I like this one:

http://www.yugisoft.com/5709.asp

But me putting it together? A joke!
I know, the prices are really good and I had no problem with the tower. Just that one piece but it got replaced for free. Everyone who comes to my house are giving me compliments on our cat tower. They are very expensive at the store and they don't even sell big towers like the one we have. I like that it has rope around the pole and not carpet. Cats love scratching the poles!

My husband put it together. I was lucky this way.

-eva-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page