Questions about possible second cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Questions about possible second cat.

My wife started asking for a kitten awhile ago, and yesterday I finally found some local. So, I surprised her and took her and we picked one out.

It cried on the way home, but once we were home it took all of 2 minutes until it was playing and purring (yay!) Well, here is my dilemma.

We both work, and the little girl's cry in the morning when we are leaving breaks my heart. Luckily, my wife has an easy schedule this week, but starting next Monday that will not be the case.

Would you recommend getting another for company? We were told she is about 8 weeks old. And here is a little more story if we do decide to get another.

I say "about" because the owner had 4 females (that we know of!) and all got pregnant at the same time (they believe from the same dad). They had all of the kittens together, so it was hard to tell which belonged to which litter, but from my opinion they were all very close in age, and all are litter trained.

Should I try to specifically find one from the same litter?
Or because they all "know" each other, or are around the same age would that not matter?
What about gender pairings? I have heard two females is a no-no.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Questions about possible second cat.

Congratulations on your new little one. She must be a little overwhelmed if she wnt from all those friends to being on her own. If you can afford another kitty I would get another one. IMO cats seem to like having a friend tobe with. Of course there are lots of solo cats who do fine, but another one might help her to keep her company.

Be prepared tho, 2 can get into lots of trouble . They will chase each other around and cause all sorts of havoc.

There might be period were they will need to be introduced to one another, even if you get another one from the same house. There are new smells, etc., but kittens tend to adjust pretty rapidly.

Oh...and if you could put up a picture or two it would be wonderful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Congratulations on your new little one. She must be a little overwhelmed if she wnt from all those friends to being on her own.
Thanks, we're excited and she seems to be doing alright. Just cries when no one is in the room with her. We didn't have time to kitty proof the whole house, so we had her in the living room.
Quote:
There might be period were they will need to be introduced to one another, even if you get another one from the same house. There are new smells, etc., but kittens tend to adjust pretty rapidly.
If we do decide to do that, I'm hoping its not too much of an issue as we just got her less than a day ago, but who knows.
Quote:
Oh...and if you could put up a picture or two it would be wonderful.
Can do. Currently at work, just looking for any advice/opinions on the topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats on the new addition

The last time I adopted kittens, I got two. Best decision ever! My previous cats had always been solo and suffered from loneliness when we left the house. My two girls always loved having a playmate and seem to hold up much better when we're away than any of my previous cats.

I have two girls who are littermates and get along very well. I would recommend another girl -- if you have one of each, you may end up with more kittens if you're not careful

Keeping the kitten(s) limited to one room is a good idea when you're not home to supervise. Kittens have a way of getting into trouble quickly and are much safer when limited to smaller spaces.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa 216
Kittens have a way of getting into trouble quickly and are much safer when limited to smaller spaces.
Haha, yeah. My wife got home early from work today and was letting her run around some to explore the rest of the house.

Needless to say, we have a halfwall near our kitchen table going up the stairs. She figured out how to climb stairs, out onto the halfwall, onto the table, and jump off. And our table is one of the ones w/ high chairs too, quite the fall for the little girl.

My wife said she did it, then ran right back up and did it again.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Premier Cat

LOOK MOM I CAN FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I adopted two sisters and they are wild, funny, cuddly and totally inseparable. I recommend getting another girl from the same place, as soon as possible so they can explore the place together.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

as promised.
edit: we also finally decided on a name:
Maya, as we just came back from vacation in Riviera Maya, Mexico and that is also where we went on our honeymoon.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Premier Cat

She's adorable!! Gray kitties are my favorite. If you don't want to get another kitty you can just send her to my house.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
If you don't want to get another kitty you can just send her to my house.
Probably not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page