you know what i really hate?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

you know what i really hate??

when people say that CATS are not pets

i cant even tell you how many people are like "oh you have a cat? thats not a pet"

can someone explain the hatred people have for cats? and why they cant just keep their mouths shut?? that would be like me saying to someone "oh you have KIDS??" lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: you know what i really hate??

obviously cats are pets, so i wouldn't worry about those people, however one possible reason could be because some cats are so independent loners and not huge "people cats"...

pretty much the only interaction they want is for you to feed them and let them poop in your house, then to watch you clean it up...

if that is their experience, or what they see of other peoples cats...you could see where they get that opinion
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Cat Addict

Those are people who haven't met my cats or have never met a cat that's been treated properly so that it trusts humans.

I get a fantastic greeting at night and my cat is always at my side. She even lets me know when she wants to play.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

i've gotten the "cats arent pets" comment from a lot of people

my husband was NOT a cat person... but once we took in miller he grew to love him!

you see more dislike for cats vs dislike for dogs
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Cool Cat

There are so many people who claim to "hate cats" out there.. I was brought up with my parents disliking them (possibly cos one of the neighbours had heaps and they used our sand pit as a litter tray). Whatever their reasons were, both have changed their views on cats since I've had them as pets.

I think they are misunderstood by people who claim they hate them and if these people actually give them half a chance, they realise they're not so bad after all.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats
There are so many people who claim to "hate cats" out there..
I consider myself an animal lover, and there are certain cats that are just evil and deserve to be hated at least 50% of the time

My sister-in-law's cat will hide around corners and whack you hard with her claws. Or if you're sleeping she'll crawl up on the bed and scratch or bite. If you scare her away, she will most likely be smacking you in the head within the next 5 minutes as soon as you stop watching for her.

My mother-in-law's cat just think that her 'poop' doesn't stink, and only shows up to eat and poop in their house. She doesn't play, she doesn't like petted, and she will most likely spat at you for trying. Their other cat however, is awesome (he was a wild cat they took in as a kitten).

On the other hand, my cousin's cats are possibly the coolest pets in the world...next to Maya of course

So yeah, stereotypically cats are more "evil" than dogs...perhaps deserved, perhaps not.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Cat Addict

Fish, now those aren't pets

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well!" -- Missy Dizick

No, but seriously. I've never met a cat I don't like. Even the evil nasty ones that attack can still be appreciated for the beautiful animals that they are.

Oh and then there's this quote:
"Beware of people who dislike cats." -- Irish proverb
(I have found this to be true sometimes!)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Premier Cat

People who say 'cats aren't pets' have just never met a family-friendly cat or had a great relationship with one. The stereotype of cats are independent loners really isn't true, it is just what happens when people do not put any effort into their pet. Cats are touted as being easy to care for, because they can do so much of their care themselves, so they only get minimal interaction with their people. Many cats just *are* snuggle/cuddle love-kitties, but if an in-between or shy cat comes along and their people won't show it how nice it is to be a snuggle/cuddle love-kitty...it won't learn on its own so it does become an aloof and independent cat.

People who come visit us are surprised at how personable our cats are. At how they 'don't behave like real cats'. What? Well, sure they do! It is just the cats our guests have been around haven't been socialized like ours. Ours know their own names. Come when called as a group. Come when called individually (and only that cat called will come, though we will sometimes get another interested party or two, wondering if the called cat is getting a treat and they may be able to share in the treat...). Know some voice commands: up, down, off, come here, out, snuggle-down, easy, no, stop it. Know some hand signs: wiggle fingers = come get scrubbles, shooing motion = move, pointing = move or look there, a hand held up = stay or wait. These are the ones right off the top of my head.

IMO, you get out of cats what you put into them. Dogs will love anybody. A cat has to want to love you, and if they are never shown, they will never develop that on their own. So, people who put little effort into their cat relationships are really missing out. And unfortunately, so are the cats.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Premier Cat

Where are these people who say,"Cats aren't pets."? Obviously they have never met Arianwen!
The sweet, silvery fuzz ball will change their minds in a hurry. She is the most loving kitteh, but she can sense people who don't like cats, and is wary of them. This just means she's a good judge of character.

The bond we share is beyond the scope of words to describe. She is more than a "pet".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page