US Norwegian Forest Cat Breeder - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

US Norwegian Forest Cat Breeder

Hello everyone, I've been considering getting a cat for the past few months and I really have my heart set on a silver tabby Norwegian forest cat. However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a US breeder with any available. I've searched through a number of US breeder sites but the closest I've come is seeing pictures and videos of beautiful NFCs that have already found homes ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPB7YkgKdvs he is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, not that there would be a shortage of people wanting him in their family). If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I'm a little uneducated as to how pet shipping works. I've heard of people receiving pets from other part of the country, but can cats be shipped internationally? If so, I'd certainly be willing to broaden my search. Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Premier Cat

Re: US Norwegian Forest Cat Breeder

I don't know any NFC breeders, so I can't help there.

I am not big on animals being shipped in the cargo hold of an airplane because is can be risky, and even deadly. Perhaps you could fly to the breeder and return with the kitten in the plane with you. It would also allow you to meet the breeder in person and make sure that the kitten was raised in a good environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yea I don't really like the idea either, seems like it would be really stressful on the kitty and I agree with visiting the breeder's establishment and getting a feel for the environment the cats were raised in. I'd be willing to drive a decent distance for this (I'm in the DeMarVa region) but since most of the better (seeming) NFC breeders I've seen are in Europe it may be impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

First link contains a bunch of good links on NFCs, the second is a list of breeders by state. I agree with Leazie about shipping a kitten in cargo, most good breeders won't ship internationally anyway. Have you considered a Maine Coon? They are not substantially different cats and more readily available in the US. Even if you do consider a MC looking specifically for a silver tabby is going to take you while to find for either breed, just don't see that many of them....

http://www.breedlist.com/norwegian-fc-breeders.html

http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/nor.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via AIM to JewelFilly

Have you considered a Siberian? Very similar in temperament and looks to NFC's.

Here's some pictures of my silver tabby, Neo. Keep in mind these were taken when he was a kitten just to show you his coloring. The one in the car was taken recently, he's a year and 5 months. Siberian males end up being 20-25 lbs. He's only 14 lbs now.

There are plenty of great Siberian breeders all around the US. Here's the link to the one I know is good. http://www.katymcfurr.com/

Jess

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for that suggestion JewelFilly. I appreciate the thought, and thats a cute cat. I'd really prefer a NFC though, I'm attached to the breed. I used to hate cats, most of the ones I had met seemed stuck up and not really affectionate, until I met my girlfriend's Norwegian Forest Cat Harley who is like the best cat/pet ever and began to appreciate cats . I know breed doesn't dictate personality but I'm still sold on the NFC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Premier Cat

Maine Coon cats have very similar purrsonality traits to the NFC's. So do Siberians, as Jess's handsome Neo is a beautiful example of that breed.
Ragdolls are also very laid back, people oriented kitties.

Something to bear in mind though, is that breeding only confers tendencies to a kitty's personality. A cat's upbringing has a much greater influence on the cat's personality than genetics.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

From everything I've read, you'd be hard pressed to tell a Maine Coon from an NFC....both breeds are big, sweet, goofy cats with loads of personality. And putting them side by side you could never pick out a physical difference (unless you were an expert). If you haven't looked at the breed, do yourself a favor and at least be open to it.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page